377 days - Blog #7, This day in history or how I avoid my novel by contemplating its context
So, typical to my personal interests, I follow a lot of
history feeds on Facebook. Or things
that talk about history. And yet it wasn’t
until this version of August 4th that I realized so many significant
things – awful things – happened on this day.
By so many, I mean three.
By three I mean the grouping resonates as ominous because I have that
Irish suspicion thing embedded in my memory.
They were all things I knew happened.
I just didn’t know they happened on the same square of the calendar.
One I already referenced last night and in another blog. And certainly, the significance of 50th
anniversary makes it more obvious.
Although, in truth… well, come to think of it, I didn’t see this on
Facebook this morning. I just happen to remember that this is the day when the
FBI unearthed the bodies of Mickey Schwerner, James Chaney, and Andrew
Goodman. The bodies were found, but
justice never was.
One thing I didn’t realize – or maybe I did in some very
distant echo of reading her diary and that last, haunting gripping scene of the
play – this was the day when Anne Frank and her family were discovered in the
attic and arrested. That was 70 years
ago… so I imagine the zero of the anniversary is why Facebook decided to
remember it. Yeah, I don’t think I need
to go too far on that reflection. Except
to say, I have seen that play quite a few times. And that last blackout with the actress
reading, “It's really a wonder that I haven't dropped
all my ideals, because they seem so absurd and impossible to carry out. Yet I
keep them, because in spite of everything, I still believe that people are
really good at heart.”
Stop and think about that for
a moment and thank her for putting that in your mind.
The last anniversary has a
zero as well. Two, in fact. It is the centennial of when Great Britain
joined the Great War. Granted my
nationality doesn’t claim that centennial for another two years… but it was a
day that set in motion so much of the consequences of the rest of the
century. And it does, in a very real
way, shape the history that made my life happen.
In another Facebook scroll
today, I saw a comment feed that lamented how much better it was in
yesteryear. That this generation is lost
and lacking in goodness and that decades before were a preferable time in which
to live. I’ve been there. And yeah, I’m watching Boardwalk Empire or
Mad Men and I think why don’t we wear clothes like that? Or listen to music like that? Or why can’t we chuck the cell phone mode of communication
and have neighborhood block parties or church suppers (even though I don’t go
to church)? Or I walk through the rooms
at Beauport and wish I could go to one of those parties – which would probably
contradict every argument of propriety from that feed. But mostly, it’s a nice thought. I do get to go to those places when I
write. But at night, I get to have a hot
shower, watch my latest Netflix binge, check out high school classmates on
Facebook and admire whom they have turned into, and be a single, childless
woman without being… too much of… a freak.
World War I was so much more
horrific than Matthew Crawley’s temporary and conveniently ended
paralysis. It was a stupid war. An ugly war.
England lost a generation. The
land that no man wanted was scarred forever (look at these photos). Mustard gas.
Trenches that smelled like sulphur – at least that is how the Imperial
War Museum interpreted it – and even if it was a lame interpretation, it makes
my soul ache.
And to not be there… but
here. Across the ocean. Waiting.
Without Facebook. Without
television. Without a phone.
My grandmother’s father was
an agnostic. Maybe, even, an
atheist. The consequence of which he
wasn’t allowed to be buried alongside his wife.
The details of her life are murky because she died when my grandmother
was a teenager. She had hypochondria and
maybe something else of mental illness.
Could that have been provoked or escalated by the fact she was a nurse in
WWI?
I don’t know. But even when I think of how they waited for
one another through the war… I grieve over the lost opportunity of what
might have happened if August 4, 1914 was a different sort of day.
I wonder, sometimes, if after
all these 100 year anniversaries pass, will it also pass into oblivion? Eclipsed by the second war for which this
conflict set the stage? Is it good to
forget how awful and just imagine how much ‘nicer’ it would be to live in that
yesteryear?
Well, for my year to come, I
am writing WWI into my novel. It is more
contextual than plot. But it does make
me think, yeah, no, 1917 was not a better place to live. No, I hope no one who reads my book will come
away thinking that.
Speaking of the book, I should
get back to it. I have six days before I
have to declare this draft done and send it off to a reader or two or three.
But, again. Stop and ponder. Dulce et decorum est.



Comments