377 Days - Blog #12 - exit, pursued by a bear (or the third play I saw this weekend)
So tonight’s play is Shakespeare.
If you know anything about me, this is my kind of
theater. And yet… as much as I always
say I want to go… I don’t actually see a lot of the local live Shakespeare
lately. I spend my money to drive to
Boston to watch every NT Live recording… but I haven’t made a concentrated
effort to go out and support the genre I love the most.
And this is bad.
Because:
2. I’m friends with people who like Shakespeare. So… basically, I’m not supporting my friends. In fact, I feel very badly that I missed two productions of As You Like It this spring and the chance to see the different takes on the story, but also applaud my friends. I could make excuses – like I was sick (and I was – you know the kind where you can’t stop coughing) or I had family stuff or work stuff… but I need to start making making time for Shakespeare a priority.
So that’s what I’ve done tonight.
I will pause for a second and say that one thing that keeps
me away is … well, Shakespeare is kind of a religion. I mean that on a whole bunch of levels. But for this purpose, I mean to say rather
like that other revered ancient book, people who love Shakespeare tend to latch
onto what something is supposed to mean or be or feel with a very tight
grip. If it isn’t just so, it is
wrong. Actually, I mean WRONG. The fundamentalism of the marriage to the
text drives me as batty as any arbitrary quote from Leviticus. And yet, I know the battiness comes from
that nagging inner critic who echoes in my own brain.
So tonight, I’m happy to put into practice an attitude that
will put her pretentious nagging at bay.
The play was The Winter’s Tale performed by the Worcester
Shakespeare Company. I have seen a few
other productions by this group. I think
the last one was Hamlet (which I also saw on or around my birthday) when they
still performed in Worcester proper at Green Hill Park. When I was rehearsing Crimes of the Heart at
the Singh, they were performing Othello.
I remember watching a scene or two from the balcony… but I confess I
didn’t go see the show. (This is a
negative I will indulge – I don’t pay for productions of Othello where the Moor
is white.) But that aside, I very much
appreciate what this group has done over the last several summers to bring
productions of my favorite genre of theater to Central Mass.
This summer they are producing two plays – one indoor and
one outdoor. The latter is my absolute favorite,
The Merry Wives of Windsor, of which I hope to write in a week or two. The former is the one I saw tonight, The
Winter’s Tale. In spite of my adoration
of Shakespeare, I confess I didn’t remember much about this play. I get it confused with All’s Well That Ends
Well – for what reason, I have no idea. I
also associate it with one of my favorite theater movies, the unsung quirky brilliance
of A Midwinter’s Tale.
But then, of course, I saw the mention of a bear in the
program… and then I remembered. Oh yeah,
this is the ‘exit, pursued by a bear’ play.
I embraced my rusty memory, though… because it is a good
test to my apprehension of Shakespeare.
There are some plays (like the other one they are performing) that I can
quote line for line… and thus I know it.
This one I had to sit and see it like an audience member for whom
Shakespeare isn’t a religion… and it was a good reminder. The first scenes are a slow wind up and then
eventually it all starts to make sense.
Although, I think this cast did a good job of acting to tell the story
with their expression and movement so my brain adjustment to Elizabethan
English didn’t take too long. There was
the irrational jealousy of Leontes and the comedy of Autolycus and the romance
of Perdita and Florizel to help me understand without words.
Anyway, I could get really nerdy here, but that will make
this a way too long blog. So here are
three things upon which I will focus.
1. This had dance. If
you’ve read my last two blogs, you’ll notice a theme. I like dance.
I think it adds happiness to a show, to a party, to a show about a
party, to an ordinary moment when you just need to feel a lift up. So throwing it into this play which is a
weird complicated time jump and has some heavy jealousy stuff and bears eating
people is definitely a good thing.
2. The music for that dance… the music in general… my poor
friend had to listen to me geek out at intermission. They used music from the movie Orlando. Now here – I’m going to go on a slight
tangent. I saw that movie… almost twenty
years ago. I think I remember watching
it on my futon in my South Barre apartment and swooning over Billy Zane’s five
minutes. It led me to read the book,
which is probably my favorite of Virginia Woolf. But the movie was a weird thing in the 90’s. I liked it. Enough that when I was on a Higgins outreach
in Kittery, ME and we stopped at some random outlet selling soundtracks of
obscure movies, I scooped up that cassette tape… that I played over and over
and over. Mostly because it had this
pavanne which was perfect for the fantasy novel/series that I’ve been writing
since high school and imagining a medieval dinner theater.
I think my multiple rewinds and playing of
that particular song is what finally broke the tape. It has yet to appear on iTunes (and I just
checked again. Bollocks.) Anyway, they used the Pavanne as a closing…
but also pretty much every other piece from the entire soundtrack. If anyone else in the audience tonight
recognized it, I need to have a cup of coffee with them and discuss how my film
professor in England was obsessed with Sally Potter, the director of the film
and composer of the score.
Anyway, that was probably way more than you needed to
know. But theater and enjoying it is
very much about how we connect the random details of our own lives to a
story. And if we can sew into our
experience of a play the threads of delight from other parts of our life –
like, say, those months in London where I was taking a film class or dreaming
up scenes of Leora and Brentain… well, I’m obviously going to enjoy the play a
whole lot more.
3. Back to #3. I liked how they arranged the theater. I’ve performed at the Singh and seen several
shows in that space. They reconfigured
the stage so it was a three quarter thrust and put all the seating on the
floor. It made a much more intimate
watching, complementing the staging of the actors as they wandered into the
audience and pulled some reluctant viewers into the scene as a way to break up
the longer speeches. But such a thing
also granted my favorite part of Shakespeare plays a better chance. I like to watch the background. Partly because I’ve been that actor. Partly because you understand the words so
much more by looking at the person who is listening to it. I sat on the stage right side and really enjoyed
my view of things.
And now, I do have some personal connection to the cast, so
there is some of that sentimental cheering.
One friend joined the company this summer as a member of the
ensemble. That meant she got to be in the
dance scenes… my favorites. We’ve had
few conversations about Shakespeare, so I know this is one of her loves… and
knowing she got to be in this play and those delightful scenes increased my mirth.
Secondly, one of my college professors was in this
production. This delights me on many
levels. Firstly, because it is an
instance where my Boston-ish life collides with my Worcester life. I like when the two meet. But more significantly, she directed the
first Shakespeare in which I was on the stage - the aforementioned favorite, The Merry Wives of Windsor.
She gave me the freedom not just to love the language but to play with
it and find the fun as well as the depth and sorrow. She made it real. Since then, Shakespeare has been such an important
part of my life and something for which I will be truly grateful. I loved seeing her get to be on the stage and
play a part, just as she directed me all those not really too many years ago.
It was a good night.
It was a good play. And yes, I
think you should go see this. Not just
because it’s Shakespeare and I think the more you see it, the less you fear
it. Because this is a good group, who
produces a good show. And, just like I
said about those musicals earlier this weekend, you will have fun.
Check out the info at the Worcester Shakespeare Company website. It’s worth noting that if you
see one and keep your ticket, they will deduct $10 from the cost of the
other. Do it.
And by the way, yes, I have been listening to the Pavanne on
repeat pretty much the entirety of my writing this.

Comments