377 days - Blog #24 - My on, off, still kinda off love for Dr. Who, or why it's a good thing I don't have cable because I think too much about television
So the other night, I fell down a YouTube Doctor Who rabbit
hole. That comes partly from the fact I
figured out how to watch YouTube on Roku.
And partly because I couldn’t commit to an episode of the show I am
watching half-heartedly on Netflix (which is just really about the Six Feet
Under binge I finished a few weeks ago and had to find a way to stay with the
characters and ended up watching a lame NBC family drama featuring one of the
actors with Ally McBeal and some British guy I know I’ve seen in something
other than American television).
Anyway, I went on YouTube via Roku and watched John Oliver’s
brilliant commentary on Ferguson again.
Watch it if you haven’t already.
Like I said. Brilliant.
But then, just to prove the point that even I get weary of
the gloom and doom of the reality of racism and violence, I skipped to another
one of my YouTube favorites, the Doctor Who (official?) channel.
You see, there is a series premiere on Saturday. More than that, there is a Doctor
premiere. And I thought to myself, wow,
yeah, I forgot… hm.
Because, once upon a time, I was a zealous Whovian.
Thanks to Facebook, I was able to go back to three years ago
this week, which was probably the height of that fanaticism. It was also, of course, the point when we
were waiting for that mid season (or profit squeezing gimmick) return after the
big River Song reveal. I was totally
besotted and felt compelled to convert my nearest and dearest to my religion.
That year – 2011 – of course, was the summer of
Whosdays. It bled into the fall of
Whosdays and somewhat of the winter.
Whosdays were the weekly ritual I created upon my move back to Worcester
when friends came over every Tuesday night and we watched two or three episodes
of Who, starting from the beginning of the 2005 reboot. In true supper club Jessie fashion, I
selected the episodes and conjured a theme of snacks from the grouping. The best, most lingering result, I think was
the time I chose Wales and made up a cheese leek dip. So good.
Really. So absolutely good that I
brought it out for the Welsh part of The Merry Wives of Windsor a couple months
back. (basically English cheddar,
caramelized leeks, a bit of beer… and yeah, a touch of Marmite… melted).
But Whosdays… yeah, they were glorious. It made Tuesday my favorite day. It made me love that show even more.
And I already loved it.
I became one of those people in 2009.
Funnily enough, I was at a similar point with An Ever Fixed Mark then –
waiting out some perspective to tackle another edit, holding my breath to hear
from a beta reader or two. I had just
joined Netflix… and I figured I would give this show I mocked previously because
of Billie Piper a legitimate chance.
Yeah… I consumed the whole thing in a matter of months… and that was
when I still had to wait for freaking DVDs from Netflix. Streaming was quite new at that point. (Sad that it seems so long ago and such a
hardship.)
In the years since, I have had many a geeked out
conversation that broke off from the crowd.
I dorked out on spoilers and how this actor was also in that BBC thing
or this National Theater production. I
awaited each season with baited breath, but not without multiple viewings (and
I mean MULTIPLE to the point I can probably recite half of them) of previous episodes. I even own four of the soundtracks (yes, I’m
listening to them as I write this).
Because I’m a nerd.
And I loved being a nerd.
Until I overdosed. Or
I saw the other side of the shark. I’m
not sure what happened first, or if one caused the other. But… somewhere in season 5 the writing
started to dilute. No, dilute isn't the right word. Some of those episodes are really
like a good wine. They do get better
with multiple viewings. Plus, series 5
does include Vincent and the Doctor.
Richard Curtis. Come on.
And six was the whole River Song thing… and I adore(d)
her. Then everyone else did. And it got to be, well, less special. It was gimmick-y. It was this meme and that meme and then
another meme or another one. It was
costumes and Tardis jewelry and t-shirts and keychains and lots of other cheap
plastic stuff manufactured in China, to look like a telephone box from the UK
when they were realizing the value of socialism. It was about David Tennant or Matt Smith’s
hair. They shot guns. Everyone was noticeably white… and
straight. And the story arc was lost in…
I don’t know… actually, I don’t know.
Russell Davies wrote a tighter season.
A much more diverse cast. A more
human storyline. I felt like my great
love affair with the Doctor degenerated to friendship.
Then… well… the Doctor is an old white guy again. Because, of course, we need more of them to
save the universe. Now, I am not just a little
bit jaded because Peter Capaldi broke the Vicar’s heart in the 90’s (YouTube is frustratingly cheap in offering up a clip of the Vicar, but see the episode Songs of Praise or the second Christmas special... and you'll understand) But even so…
hasn’t this been done before?
Shake it off. This is
me. This is about where I am in my
life. It isn’t (entirely) about the show.
The writing isn’t bad. I just grew into
other interests. Like I said, the love
affair is just friends now.
But the memories don’t diminish. I really did just go onto Facebook and found
the event I created for August 23, 2011.
It was the Season One finale … with the theme of… no kidding,
Wales. The invention of the leek
dip. I can’t say I remember the night in
vivid detail – there was undoubtedly some wine or beer or magical concoction
from the Speakeasy bar… but I did smile reading the event description. We didn’t have much conversation. It was a lot of watching (I insist on
silence, not the silence) and got ANNOYED when there was too much chatter
during the episode. But there was something
about sharing that and the brief discussion after and the snacks and the wine…and
that permission to not be a grownup for the evening and just be a nerd and
watch tv.
So… I’ll probably still buy the episodes to keep current
with my ex infatuation. I mean, it is
the Doctor. Anything could happen.


Comments