377 days - Blog #23 or the day I decided to respond to spam



I rarely go into my gmail spam… unless I’m bored and feel the need to empty it.  But I know without looking, it is pretty much full of Democrat solicitations.  Asking me to sign a petition… which really is just the gateway to what all of them don’t beat around the bush to get to, asking for money.

Every once in a while, one slips out of the spam filter.  Often from my Congressman, Jim McGovern (although I know it’s not really from Jim McGovern, and probably not even from his actual office).  I actually like Mr. McGovern, largely because he performed in Banned in Boston many times.  But since I left that job and spend more time in his district, I really do support his efforts against hunger and war.  The fact he is all over Central Mass and Pioneer Valley when he isn’t in Washington.  So… sometimes, I will open an email and see if he is in the area at an event I might like to go.

Today the email was from him/not from him.  But it was about getting the Kochs out of the election.  I want that.  I will sign my name to support that.  Sure, why not?  I filled out the screen with my name and appropriate email (the email that already gets all that spam deposited) and figured I did my duty.




Then they asked me for money.  Normally I just click out of the screen.  But I am annoyed with the internet asking me for money these days.  I’m sick and tired, frankly, of the expectation that I will offer up my credit card in exchange for little or no information.

So I searched for the option to send an email.  There was none.   I eventually got myself back to the homepage of Act Blue and without much ease found a “contact us” page with a place to type a message.  This is what I wrote:

 Dear Act Blue,

 I have, many times over the years, happily supported my candidates and Democratic politicians.  However, in recent years, I have less funds with which to be so generous, but more importantly less desire.  I very much believe in my local Congressmen and the men and women I see working to make our communities better.  However, I do not see how giving you money will help with that effort.  Congress has failed to pass any solid form of legislation in recent memory.  And more to the point, you just pulled me into your site by asking me to sign a petition to keep money out of elections.  Then you IMMEDIATELY ask me for money to put into elections.  

 If you could provide a detailed account of how my money is to be spent, maybe I will continue in the future.  However, if it is merely to fund shrieking advertisements or lunches with lobbyists, I am not interested.  At all.  I would rather put my dollars where I would like to hope my politicians would put their attention and their fight.  Towards the good of the local community.  And not the viper's nest of Washington D.C.

 I don't imagine anyone is going to read this and do anything... but I needed to write it and pretend like I'm more than just a wallet to the party that supposedly represents my interests.

I really don’t expect a response, but I figured I would at least find one or two readers by posting it on my blog.  I’ll even go a step further to say something that might actually be directed against the Koch money machine.  Read the labels on your toilet paper or go to this link and just don't buy the brand.  Don’t buy anything Georgia Pacific or Dixie or American Greetings.  At least then you (I) will know how money is not being spent for the advantage of the Kochs.


Comments

Popular Posts