377 days - Blog #10.2, the play I saw tonight or 42nd Street




So when we got a VCR in the mid 80’s, one of the very first things I recorded was a PBS broadcast of the documentary That’s Dancing.  I remember some of it was cut off because I think I was still trying to master that whole timer thing – but I got enough of it that through multiple watchings of the video, I became a great fan of Busby Berkeley.  The movie that highlighted that era of dancing, of course, was 42nd Street.


Eventually I watched the whole movie, but really… my favorite part was just watching that Ruby Keeler number, with that button up skirt and her … okay, it’s really too late in the evening to come up with an accurate adjective for those sleeves.

Anyway, tonight I saw the stage version.  I’ve never seen the stage version.  I don’t even know that I have heard it.  And it has been a while since I watched the complete movie – even that clip though I probably still have that taped version of That’s Dancing in a box in a closet upstairs.  (Netflix, get on it.)

But you get an abatement, Netflix, because I got a good tap dancing fix tonight.

So, if you read my earlier post today, I have a determination to celebrate the plays to which I devote an evening.  

This was the opening night of Vanilla Box Productions’ second summer musical.  There is something exciting about opening night… like you can sense that intake of breath that is held until the first curtain call in front of an audience.  Because this is the first time the show becomes real and steps out of the bubble of cast and crew rehearsing.  But there is a lot of energy, good and bad stress, and excitement for the first real response to six or more weeks of hard work.

I enjoyed myself thoroughly this evening.  My 12 year old self was thrilled by all the tap dancing scenes.   I think this is a show that shouldn’t be touched if there isn’t a cast that can master the swift rat a tat tat of a tap shoe.  This cast was quite impressive.  I loved the group numbers.  I loved seeing the syncopation of steps and hearing that musicality of all the dance moves.

The movie is very visual.  I mean, gosh, this is Busby Berkeley we’re talking about.  It’s also from a time when film was just getting its feet and learning how to manipulate a camera and close in on a pretty lady.  I was impressed by how a high school stage could transform to so many scenes without the luxury of an editing machine or a Hollywood back lot.  My favorite detail was the fact the number “We’re in the Money” had so many dimes without the silhouette of FDR.  My history geek appreciated that immensely.  I also liked that a black and white story had color on the stage.  All the ladies who lined up for the “Dames” number were a beautiful rainbow and didn’t have the dullness of the black and white art deco cliché.

Something that surprised me… and maybe this is something I would see… was the script that I expected to be dated… wasn’t.  I mean, there is a number called “Dames.”  Where the women parade for adoration of the men.  But, there is an undercurrent of the Great Depression in the whole show.  The show has to succeed to give everyone in the company a way to make rent or eat.  Maybe we could throw that into the Cinderella fairy tale… but I think it is a real way of connecting to my favorite subject of creative economy.  That one artist can create something that helps a whole community.

Which brings me to the next bit.

I think this is a piece of creative economy worth supporting.

Vanilla Box Productions has been around for 8 years, but this is the second year since they went from a children’s theater education program to a full out musical production that is for adults.  It is exciting to see this production – which, yeah, has some rough edges.  But I can completely see how they have grown from last summer and will continue to grow with the energy and momentum of their cast and crew.

I also want to point out some individuals I am glad to support.  I don’t like to name my friends in my blog.  But I will give a nod to their roles (and if they don’t mind me mentioning them, I will do so next time).  

One friend is playing Julian Marsh.   I know it is in his nature to be critical of his performance.  I totally get it, because I am that kind of actor.  But he has that reprise of 42nd Street at the end of the show.  And his voice, his owning of the stage was a moving and lingering in your memory kind of performance way to say good night.

Another friend plays “Anytime” Annie.  But even if she didn’t have a name in this show, her presence on the stage is enough to command your attention.  She dances with skill.  Her musical voice carries to the back of the auditorium.  She is in her element in a show like this.  AND the girl is starting a baking business (like her Facebook page) and supplies the concessions for the show.  Seriously, she was baking during tech week and still tapped across that stage with contaminating energy.

I have more friends in the cast.  Women of the ensemble… but to say that isn’t a trivialization.  The group numbers were my absolute favorite.  They had to be.  This was a movie about dancing with a weak narrative to connect the songs.  The play isn’t much more.  And as such, you need an ensemble that can carry those songs and dances.  I was happy to see my friends keep up the energy through tap number after tap number.  Yeah.

And last… but definitely far from least, I am also friends with the stage manager.  This is a tough show.  I applaud her for having a smile at the end of the night.  For making all those scene changes happen.  For getting the actors where they need to be.  For getting the opening off and running.  Brava, lady.

So, yeah, I have some friends in this cast.  But damn, I loved the tap dancing.  Enough, maybe, to help populate that list to which I may have alluded a week ago with an item to get back to the thing I haven’t done since age five and buy a pair of shoes to help relearn all my tap dancing vocabulary.

If you would like to check out this show, they run this Friday and Saturday, as well as next weekend.  You can get all the info on the Facebook event.

Go.  Indulge your dancing feet.  

Comments

Popular Posts