377 Days - Blog #5 My Happy Place
So vacations where I travel are actually not a frequency in
my life. I am definitely a homebody… at
least I have fallen into that groove in the last several years. And certainly, even when I travel, I like to
see other places as the ones who live there – not as a fly by night tourist.
Of course this year, vacation full stop is not really
possible. The consequence of the first
year on a job and having to accrue time off.
But I work in a tourist attraction… so I’m not really complaining.
This week I seem to be taking on a number of home tasks for
others who are going away. And, the
weird, happy serendipity of it is… I feel that magical escape for a few days
that one can get from a week at the Cape or Maine or abroad in Europe.
You see, I’m spending the week at Mt. Pleasant Ave.
Maybe it is because of this place I like the buildings of
theater so much. Or museums. Many rooms in Beauport had the smell of the
Happy Attic. My ability to find magic in
the dust of a room undoubtedly comes from having nearly forty years of memories
in this little spot in Central Mass.
My day has felt out of sorts because of the anticipation of
a few nights not in my regular groove, sleeping in my own bed with the noises
of the woods to which I am now accustomed.
But I came out to the back deck with the dog and saw the sun that
decided it was here for a curtain call and resolved to bring out the laptop and a
glass of wine to remember and listen between the sound of cars passing on Main
Street for the echoes of summers past on this lawn…
… when the stone fireplace had hot coals for cooking
hamburgers and hotdogs
… when the grass was littered with those aluminum lawn
chairs with plastic weaving
… when the croquet set was spread out across the yard and I
just wanted to stare at the pretty rainbow colors of the goal
… laughter
… loud voices (because, come on, this is a Brennan
household)
… children on swings
… the tire swing
…Abigail fleeing my tail pulls
…fishing (the playgame given to us to clean the
leaves) from the brook
… flowers, beautiful flowers
… memories I can’t see in mind but are imprinted on
photographs from baby pictures
… a time when my parents were younger than I am now – when my
grandparents were younger than my parents are now
It’s all still here.
It makes a happy melody with every gathering that spills out of the
kitchen onto this deck. Every Easter egg
hunt. A quiet evening as the daylight
ebbs and the sound of the crickets intensify.
Then I think of a more recent summer, with a clam bake and a
wedding party for cousins who live far away.
Or a winter when the toilets broke and all the uncles came
out here to dig a hole in the frozen ground to get to the septic system. Well, one dug. The others stood around with a beer.
But it all lives here, in a warm glow that lingers even as
this sun has given way to dusk.
This is my happy place.
And I am lucky to have it.
Comments