377 days - Blog #29 to cut or not to cut or the precious of Shakespeare
Theater is a funny sort of drug. All I did was box office for Aladdin… and yet
I still feel that need to busy myself with a project now that this one is
complete.
Actually, it’s been a while since I have been so
compelled. Mayhap that is because this
project was peripheral and did not tax my life and schedule so completely I
welcomed the vacancy the set strike leaves behind. But… I am thirsty for more right now and find
myself ready to take on a large project.
I thought I should probably not divulge the details I have
decided to impart in this blog. But if
it doesn’t go my way and I don’t get the thing I wish for… well, I can use that
as a lesson of graciousness in my writing.
(So remind me of that, dear reader, in a couple months if that be the
turnabout.)
Anyway, after mulling over several scripts and that colorful
spreadsheet of box office numbers, I have resolved to submit a Christmas
play. Christmas, Jessie style.
The seed was planted long before I tread back into the Barre
Players waters. Indeed, I wouldn’t doubt
that seed prompted my decision to go back.
But I started this year of supper club, where the theme of themes has
been Shakespeare, with Twelfth Night. To
get my head around the play again (after, cough cough nearly twenty years since
performing in it), I found many a youtube clip of the play. The best were teasers for the Broadway show I
did not get myself to NYC to view in person… but if things go well in the next
four months, I will pay the shipping from the UK for the Globe version.
Having listened to a variety of interpretations, I thought…
okay… yeah, I could go back to this play.
Moreover, I could live with it for the better part of a year. Or more.
Because part of that living starts now.
I have determined my theme.
I have determined a premise or two or three. I have also determined this show needs to be
cut to a two-ish hour time. That’s
easy. Not.
So I’ve created a word document and started employing my
dexterity of select, delete. It’s
gratifying and immediately doubtful.
I’ve done this before.
Not this play. Shakespeare. Directing.
In fact, the last play I directed was Shakespeare… and therein provokes
the breath of hesitation.
People are crazy about Shakespeare. It is a drug.
No, a religion. I mean, have you
noticed my syntax in this blog? It just
permeates the brain…and something about it catches hold and, wow, it’s
mine. Me. But the stuff is hundreds of years old. Hundreds.
Think of all the actors and directors in that timespan. Or… all the English majors and professors and
scholars and critics. And. Every.
Single. One. Of. Them.
thinks they know/feel/understand/get/believe/KNOW Shakespeare better
than all the rest. And everyone else is…
sort of right, maybe… well no, absolutely not… okay, but really, I’m the one
who knows, KNOWS, KNOWS better than everyone else. Because, Shakespeare speaks to me. Like God.
I have writ here once or twice how Shakespeare was the thing
that unraveled the knitting of my religious beliefs. At some point when I was 18 or 19, I realized
that if people couldn’t resolve what the text of Hamlet meant with any
definitive clarity, how could they be so settled and resolved on the
Bible? No. Let me rephrase that. That if people could contort the meaning of
Hamlet or Romeo and Juliet or Twelfth Night to suit their own inclinations (and
that was a text half as old as the New Testament), what was to stop them from
doing that with a bunch of scripture?
I’m not really writing to stir up trouble about Matthew,
Luke, Mark, and John. Just Will. Or Edward (because I’m an imp and feel like
whacking that hornet’s nest).
Actually, no. I’m not
looking for argument. Which is why I’ve
come to this window to write this blog and avoid the editing in the other
window. Because I want to find a script
that will allow an actor or audience member to leave their
Stratfordian/Oxfordian/iambic pentameter breath at the end of the
line/Elizabethan purist/interpretive/dated/ it’s been done to death/Shakespeare
is boring baggage at the door.
I’ve listened to it at least twenty times in the last three
weeks. It still makes me cry when
Viola/Cesario is reunited with Sebastian.
When the fool comes solely to the stage at the end and says the play is
done. I want to do this play. I want to find a set of actors with whom I
can discover new meaning to this centuries’ old text.
Old. But not
precious.


Comments