377 days, Blog #112 November 18th



I suppose we all have dates that stick in our brain.  Days that were significant at some point in our lives… that may have been incidental to the other participants in those moments.  Or maybe it is their happiness too, but the passage of time separates the option of discussing said moments.

I’ve moved away from my Boston life.  Certainly the world of social media has allowed me to keep in more frequent touch with people who were once part of my life – my daily life.  Or at least the regularity that being so connected to a theater brought.  And that was pretty much my whole 2006.  It was a really fun year.  I worked on every show of the Hovey season and found kindred spirits with whom I still share laughs and some of these memories.

I’ve been hearing the day November 18th for some time now… as it was our Annual Meeting at the Museum.  An important date in the daily details of my work life… but it wasn’t until I drove home that I remembered this was also the date of a cast party.  And yes, the date sticks in my memory.  It will always stick in my memory because it was the closing of a great show and a culmination of a really fun year of theater friendships.

Plus, I was living in a fantastic apartment.

I always knew that my time at Washington Park was going to be brief.  Our rent was a steal.  Our apartment was huge.  It needed work – and another bathroom (with four women).  But it had an ideal location in Newtonville, close to the commuter rail, a Starbucks, a Shaw’s, Trader Joe’s, and Cabot’s ice cream.  We all had so much space… so even though I was good friends with 3 out of 4 roommates, we didn’t have to rub elbows if we didn’t want to.

It was also the best place to host parties.  

So of course, when The House of Yes closed, it was a no-brainer.  I lived ten minutes from the theater.  The story took place during Thanksgiving.  So a Thanksgiving dinner was inevitable, especially with a producer and director who loved to cook.  And I loved my cast.  I couldn’t imagine not wanting to spend some more time with them.

Then… in the half hour before our Thursday performance opened, one cast member announced over our pre-show Altoids that he was eloping the next day.  So the next day I got on email and invited as many theater people I knew to come crash our cast party… because it was going to be a wedding party.

Oh man.  It was such a great night.

I just looked through the pictures to take myself back.  Georgie made an appearance.  Of course he did.  He even had a pink Chanel hat to match the costume, as well as a number of other accessories to go along with inside jokes from the recent months.  

There were gifts.  There was booze.  Oh my God.  We played the Box Game.  It’s been a long time since I’ve had occasion to play the box game.  I need to keep doing that exercise…

I am all smiles thinking about it.  And of course, dear Reader, it’s probably insignificant to you if you weren’t there.  

It was just a great day in my life.  November 18th.

It is fun to think about, especially as I am about to return to a more involved theater schedule.  I wonder if there is a similar day in store in 2015.  I hope so.

Comments

Popular Posts