377 days, Blog #111 or the whirligig of creativity



I indulged in a coffee for my drive home.  I was determined to not let the dark, hypnotic rain zone me out in the miles from Worcester.  I allowed myself the indulgence of sleeping in this morning.  That meant I had to get home and ignore any hint of feeling like a zombie after a day at the computer and exercise.

I confess I’m doing better at this exercise thing than I am at Nanowrimo.  And that’s even with the odd letting myself sleep in day.  I guess the fact I keep my thermostat in the 50s contributes to that.  Building up a sweat does more for limiting the consumption of oil than sitting with my chilly fingertips tapping at the keyboard.

I tell myself, too, that the blood flow will help me come up with another scene or more dialogue… or at least settle the tornado of creative projects whirling through my brain.  Well, sometimes that works.  Sometimes I still just want to end the day watching another episode of a family drama on Netflix.

My brain really is a tornado of creativity.  It’s tough to focus these days.

Credit Jun via Flickr Creative Commons

 Is it a case of biting off more than I can chew?  Maybe more than I can chew in a month.  A year?  I have to start somewhere I guess.  And all these moving parts have a clockwork… one turns and turns the other.  Although, there are some times when the turning of one wheel stops another completely.

I think the theater wheels have been turning much more in the last couple of days.  I volunteered to stage manage a March play last week.   A project that will overlap with another project I’m producing.  The overlap is a good thing.  Just… time.  And then… I could be auditioning.  Or not.  It’s a good script.  I don’t know that I want to let this one slip through my fingers.  Oh – and then, I sent in my submission to direct Twelfth Night at the end of the year.

I hope that succeeds.  I got a few looks of are you serious when I stated I wanted it to be a Christmas show.  I forget (because I do surround myself with fellow Shakespeare sycophants that not everyone is as enamored with Elizabethan text as I am.)  That is an oblivion I need to step out of… especially if I get to do this show.

Anyway… there’s a lot going on.   A lot in my head.  Like, I said, a tornado.

I had a conversation earlier today about giving creativity too much freedom – to which my response was that’s chaos.  There is some structure required.  Some element of discipline.  Something to keep the artist on track.  So maybe I could get all dismal about failing my 50K word count.  Or I could be glad that it is keeping those writing muscles working while the theater brain matter is busy.

And the fact I am working on arm muscles and whatever muscles will be sore from so many squats this evening is probably a whole other focal point.  

Not enough to resolve an actual thesis for today’s blog.  But good enough.

Comments

Popular Posts