377 days, Blog #107 snow and Christmas are okay
I walked out of the theater tonight (the theater that has
already been Christmased inside) into the darkness of Common Street. Not total darkness. There are actually street lights in the
center of Barre. And the theater has a
spotlight on its sign announcing the next play.
It took a bit – and the validation of my company who preceded me out the
door – to see in the shadow of the light that it was, in fact, snowing.
And I admit, I got that burst of six year old glee. The first snowfall of the year. Magic cascading down from the clouds
obscuring the stars. I smiled inside…
and kind of wrestled with it outside.
All day long people at work made that conversation you do
when you don’t really have anything better to talk about, so let’s complain
about the weather. And it was all pretty
much a how dare you Mother Nature, it’s going to snow tonight kind of
attitude. It’s an easy sort of eyeroll
and begrudging with which to go along. I
mean, snow. Who likes it?
A six year old. A six
year old who believes in magic. And
play. And the beauty of something that
falls from the sky and glows in the light of a spotlight cast against a
building.
I am kind of amazed that we are already at the point in 2014
where Thanksgiving is two weeks away. It
seems as though I should still be leaving the Museum with daylight in the sky
and 60 degree temperatures (although the latter did happen a couple times this
week). But Thanksgiving? Already?
Wasn’t it just Labor Day?
But just in case I forget what November is about, Facebook
posts keep reminding me with harsh words or a cartoon of a turkey shoving a
finger rudely in Santa’s face saying November belongs to him. Yes, that speaks so much of the spirit of
giving thanks.
I don’t get it. Why
do we have to segregate Thanksgiving and Christmas? Why do we have to be so miserable about the
anticipation of a holiday that was the penultimate of days when we were six?
I thought about that as I got in my car and turned on the
windshield wipers to clear off the rapidly melting snowflakes. Why do we resent the approach of something we
know is coming every year at this time?
The inevitable events that will occur when the clocks turn back and the
hours of darkness outnumber those of light? At what point did we lose that six year old’s
awe and wonder at the magic of these things that could never come soon enough…
and start to begrudge the hint of them coming too soon?
It’s a choice. One in
which I have indulged and may again. But
now, I think I’m in a place where I would rather empathize with the six year
old instead of think like a 30 something who freaks out about getting to work
on slippery roads or how it is just the beginning of a long haul and having to
use up my oil and firewood. How Christmas
is an annoying explosion of red, green, and glitter all trying to sell cheap
plastic shit that is contradictory to the necessities of the hurting world
right now. Yes, I could think of
that.
Or I could think of magic.
![]() |
| Credit yellowcloud via Flickr Creative Commons |


Comments