377 Days - Blog #61 my social network or food on a stick



There’s been a bit of buzz (ironically? on Facebook) about a new social network that has come on the scene this week.  I’m not really interested.  I get the Facebook backlash.  I also know I could benefit with a little less Facebook in my day to day.  But I’m also content to say that I’ve got my own alternative social network.

My supper club.

It seems a while since we gathered together.  But we reconvened tonight with familiar faces – some we haven’t seen in a while and a new member.  It was my fifth annual Food on a Stick meal.  So… it isn’t my favorite formula of a gradual warmup with appetizers and then migrating to the dining room to linger for an hour or two as the candles burn down.  The theme – and its menu – are more conducive to grazing.  

Being the fifth year, there is a challenge to attempt something new.  I made spaghetti in meatballs on a stick.  A basic meatball with spaghetti (I used angel hair so it would have less mass) rolled into the meat mixture.  And a cheese fondue.  But something wasn’t right with the temperature on my fondue pot… so it coagulated rather swiftly.  Still… it was yummy cheese with veggies and bread… and my favorite roasted Brussels sprouts.  I actually love that Food on a Stick typically coincides with the season of Brussels sprouts on a stalk.


There was a table full of nibbles – that were immediately filling.  Goat cheese with pecans and bacon served on an apple slice.  Kielbasa.  Pineapple.  Steak and cheese on a stick.  Chinese chicken on a stick.  Tomatoes, olives, and mozzarella.  Then dessert with fruit and chocolate… and ice cream on a stick never fails.  A very fun, very filling meal.

Of course, it wouldn’t be Food on a Stick without the annual drink of Hurricane Punch.  The first two of these dinners were during actual hurricanes – Earl and Irene.  Both times I didn’t cancel and just said we would use rum to make up for the rainy weather.  Since then the weather has cooperated nicely.  Indeed, today was a startling 80 degrees for the last Saturday of September.  

But the best part, of course, is the conversation.  I can talk about these things – writing and theater – to my heart’s content in this blog.  But there is really nothing better than being able to talk to other people and hear their thoughts and perspectives.  To hear about their shows and creative moments.  I love that we say it is late and it is time to end… and then it lingers for just one more thing to say… because we always have one more thing to say.

So, no.  I don’t need this new way to connect with people on the internet.  Because I have this really fantastic way to connect with people – friends – in real life.  And once a year, there is Food on a Stick.

Comments

Popular Posts