377 Days - Blog #53 how i connect Ireland to the play I went to see tonight
Fun fact. Nine years
ago I was in Ireland. The first week we were there, we passed
through a town called Leenane. A couple
times, maybe. What I remember about it
(other than the name) is that it had a laser tag compound and then on some
twisty windy road, there was a brook
– that had a kind of falls. I think we
pulled over to look at it. I seem to recall I was
in a mood or a bit of a melancholy that day, which furthered that mood because
I didn’t want to indulge melancholy in my skant hours across the pond – but I
remember looking at that falling water and that it was in that town. I also remember something about curry fries –
which may or may not have happened in that town or on the way to or from it.
(I think this is Leenane - but it was labeled with the default of the digital camera. Wow, this was taken in the days pre-idevice and instantaneous posting to Facebook. And it was only nine years ago.)
Anyway, it was fresh in my memory when I got an email the
following September from Hovey Players, with whom I signed up a couple months
before to be on a volunteer list. I
passed over the first two shows that requested help in favor of weekends at
Beauport or something else… but when the email had The Beauty Queen of Leenane
as the play… well, I knew I had to finally go do something.
It was my first venture into the Bostonish theater world. It was the beginning of a three year love
affair. It connected me to a lot of
kindred spirits who have since become friends in person and across the internet
waves.
So there’s a lesson, kids.
Maybe you can have a melancholy day on your two week trip with your
family to Ireland. But maybe, just maybe
the fact you are in one town and it has a lyrical, peculiar name could set in
motion a whole series of dominoes that will fall into place thereafter.
I was reminded of this play recently – because, it’s
September. I am planning the ten year
anniversary of that trip back to Ireland (and Leenane may require at least a
drive through). And… tonight, I went back to
Hovey to support the directorial debut of a friend I met in the booth during
that play.
One thing I hope to bring from the lessons I learned in my
life in Boston as I return to the theater of my youth is how very much fun the
life of a techie can be. Now, of course,
what is in the sound booth should really stay in the sound booth. But Hovey helped me to realize the
friendships and the absolute FUN that happens behind the scenes of a
production. Especially in a play as heavy as The Beauty Queen of Leenane, when
one has to time the tea kettle just right and wash a ridiculous number of dishes
at the end of the show – but only after dumping cold oatmeal down the toilet
because it would clog the drain if it went down the sink. (Oh the joys of theater buildings.) But there was much laughter and kinship in
spite of it.
Which is exactly why I decided to take a drive out to
Waltham tonight. I have a complicated
history emotions with about that theater
– and may write more of this tomorrow. But
for the now, I’m just going to say, it was such a delight to be back there.
The show is Flemming: An American Thriller. It’s a quirky play. I like quirky. A little noir. A little camp. A little comedy. A little dark. A lot different from what you see on a lot of
stages. A lot fun. (I really need to come up with a better word
than fun. What I mean when I use fun in
these theater posts is that I enjoyed the time I spent watching the show. I laughed.
I smiled. I appreciated the art
taking place in front of me. I am glad
for having had those hours added to my memory.)
Things I liked the most about this show – beyond the littles
I just mentioned…
The set. The set is
mod and fabulous. I forget the
challenges and subsequent brilliance of taking on the challenge of the Hovey
space. It is a smart living room,
complete with furniture, a bar, fabric, window treatments, a very cool
fireplace that reminds me of my Uncle John’s house. So much detail. So much established with the set. I want a room like that.
Actually all the design.
The lighting – the lamps, the lights that had to shift on cue, the
mood. The music. I’m a sucker for music and this was also mod
fabulous. The costumes. Smart.
Just the perfect dressing to the characters…
Which brings me to the fact I was impressed with the whole
cast. And I only really know the
director here. I don’t have a personal
stake in praising the actors. I liked
how they interpreted the characters and sharpened the comic potential. I thought they worked well together and yet
still managed to shine to make their individual characters stand out.
But mostly, I’m just thrilled for my friend. So delighted that she brought together all
the elements for such a great evening.
Directing a show is a big job.
Nine years after tea kettles and cold oatmeal, I’m really happy to see
her in this chair.
And I’m really glad that drive through the town with the laser tag compound
and tiny waterfall gave me reason to go to Hovey nine years ago and again
tonight.
nu%3D3248)74%3B)2%2B%3B)WSNRCG%3D323336%3B858466nu0mrj.jpg)

Comments