377 days- Blog #44 - The Worcester Writers Collaborative turns 3
I’ve determined that two nights a week, I will make my posts
about writing. Tuesdays are meant to
focus on my writing, while Wednesdays are about the community of writers that I
continue to discover in my own backyard. The Worcester Writers Collaborative.
I chose Wednesdays because this summer that has been the
night when we have gathered in the hall of a local non-profit for an hour of
discussion followed (sometimes) by a focused hour of writing. I was supposed to be at one tonight. But the whole car thing pre-empted that
determination.
Through the creepy and convenient time capsule that is
Facebook, I realized that we are just a week and a half or so from the three
year anniversary of our group. Well,
three year anniversary of the day I created the group on Facebook and subsequently
posted our first meeting (which was technically in October, but the posts about
it began on September 8, 2011). I don’t
think we had any idea of what the group would become in the time that has
played out since. We went from our
haphazard discussions at the library to regular writeins at NuCafe and then
this summer’s discussion/writein at Children’s Friend. There have been second and third and fourth
writeins… which shows me that people WANT to write. They want to have the excuse to write. They want to have some social interaction
with other writers.
We have had books sales at Annie’s and Tatnuck. We’ve done events at libraries and town
fairs. There has been Start on the
Street with the typewriter. Our annual
Christmas dinner at O’Connor’s.
Friendships have grown from that tiny seed of a shared love
of words. From casual acquaintances to Facebook
pals to new guests at my dinner table.
There have been a couple romances.
A few peevish dramas. People who
have moved away, across the country but keep in touch. A few deaths.
A memorial writing group.
And so many books.
From new to in progress to editing to published. Children’s books and romantic comedies and
paranormal romances and fantasies and memoirs and mysteries and science fiction
and dystopia and women’s fiction and chick lit and poetry and self-help and
biography and young adult and plays and screenplays. We have so many, many books. So many stories that needed to get on
paper and find a life of their own.
The group has a life of its own. The only common theme through the years is
friendship and encouragement. Because we
get it. We get how difficult a task it
is to write, to make oneself write, to go through the rigor of editing and
daring oneself to put it out for the world to read and see.
Recently I found myself in the midst of discussions about
Worcester’s shortcomings. Because of
this group, I will never be able to be negative about this corner of the
world ever again. There is so much
positivity and creative bravery and very little snobbery or elitism. Just a determination to … make that good art.
A year and a half ago, when we were still at NuCafe on
Tuesdays, I remember how Ken Amidon, one of our authors, made a point to come
speak to me. He wasn’t staying for the
whole writing period, but he wanted to tell me how very much coming to the
group and hearing about the possibility of self-publishing a book meant to him. He left that first conversation and finished his
manuscript and published it. He died
later that year. We went to his wake,
where his novel was proudly displayed for all to see. As bittersweet a moment as that was, it was
humbling to know the ripple effects of our little group. To know that the WWC gave him that joy and
pride in what was to be his last year.
Joy and pride are pretty fantastic gifts to give.
We are always welcome to new members friends. You should come join us for a cup of coffee,
some laughter, and a silent hour to write.

Comments