377 Days - Blog #54 a little more history
So I THINK (but I can’t be sure… and it is late enough to
not be bothered with doing the digging to verify my hunch) that today is
another anniversary of my family’s history.
It was something that amused me greatly when I found the date scribbled
into my grandmother’s Bible, where she kept track of the dates of birth and
death and marriage. It is amazing how
many pieces fall together when you look at those dates.
Today (or some day in the vicinity of today) is the 94th
anniversary of my great-grandparents. My
grandmother’s parents. It is amusing
because if one were to take a few seconds to do math, it is pretty much nine
months to the day before my grandmother was born.
I wrote a little bit of them (and my speculation of their lives) before. Just a bunch of
conclusions I draw from blurry tiny photos and shadows of expressions that I
see with the similar features in my relatives today.
She had friends (and apparently a sense of fun).
He went to war. Although this photo is in North Brookfield, with a dog who photobombed a lot of these old pictures.
She was apparently a nurse.
She wore his uniform.
There is only one photograph of them
together. On the back, my grandmother (?)
scribbled, the year before she died.
He never remarried.
He filled out a draft card for the Second World War a few years
later. I wonder why.
I do like the part, though, that his daughter's mother-in-law would bake him a pie every weekend. Tonight we had a memorial mass and supper for my grandparents. I made a pie. It seemed fitting.






Comments