377 Days - Blog #59 - how it still really looks like that and other musings on writing and that movie, Braveheart
So last week the Scotland vote was a big deal. I confess I didn’t pay a whole LOT of
attention to it (John Oliver gave me the perspective and details I required). But even he couldn’t resist the
reference to that movie.
Braveheart.
Now, I suppose I have a unique experience with that
movie. Something that only a couple
other dozen tour guides of Higgins Armory experienced in the late 90’s before
Gladiator and the LOTR movies came along can appreciate. It is a hate/love/mostly eye roll kind of
appreciation. It was rare if I gave a
tour or demonstration when I didn’t hear a sixth grader mutter ‘just like in
Braveheart.’ Though, to be fair, in
those demonstrations, I was pulling a two handed sword out of the closet
and lifting it over my head. Damn, I had
a cool job then.
Then there were our anachronistic outreaches. But they were so much fun. Such an excellent lesson in improvisation and
teaching for me… as my colleague (frequently Lady Erica) and I would try to
convince our audience that we arrived with our trunks of armor from a
fly-ridden, stinky castle with toothless graybeards and Sir Monkeyface. Whenever the kids tried to prove to us that
we were in fact from the 20th century (yes, it was last century),
they often tried to tell us about the movie, Braveheart… which in our playing
back, ended up being a puppet show with tiny horses and tiny soldiers, holding
very tiny sticks. Um… yeah… it was fun.
That said, I heard a lot about Braveheart. Of course, that didn’t stop me from buying
the soundtrack and listening to it all the time. Or the two cassettes of the actual movie,
that we would watch in the wee hours of an Overknight to keep ourselves awake
with snarky commentary… or the question of whether it still really looks like
that over in… Ireland. Because, you
know, they went back in time to film the movie.
Okay. I owe the movie
a lot of inside jokes. Inside jokes that
get dragged out at parties or drinks out with friends at least once a year.
I also owe a bit to that soundtrack. I typed up a lot of pages to it. I copied the CD so I could play a cassette in
my car, which I wore out from too many rewinds.
I would sit on my couch and listen to the music and map out the
intricate plots and character relationships of my epic. Battle scenes as well as moments of
tenderness. My favorite was track
#11. You’ve probably heard it in a bunch
of previews for other films. (I think
they used it in Castaway, among others).
The variation of it underscores nearly every clip of Braveheart ever
played anywhere. But I really, really
liked it. So much I wanted to steal its
title for my book. For the Love of a
Princess.
Then, I overdosed on James Horner. (Sometime after Troy and the fact I started
hearing Titanic and Glory in every one of his scores.) Higgins and the humor of how WRONG that movie
is faded out of my present. Never mind the
whole Mel Gibson is a tool thing. I can’t watch any of his movies now, knowing
what a complete prick he is. The Passion
sealed the deal for me. Ugh.
I was content to live life without Braveheart.
Then, of course, I started working close to those knights
again (well, some of them). Looking at
Teuffenbach’s etchings brought back all those silly inside jokes and kids (kids
who probably have kids now) who talked about the tiny puppet show with
horses.
And this week, I’ve started reading all those scenes and
characters that the melodramatic score provoked my imagination to conjure. Every day I open up a document labeled with
my shorthand for that title, For the Love of a Princess.
So you know I’m listening to it.
Right this second.
I still like the title.
I don’t know if I will keep it… now that I’ve confessed the allusion in
published content, James Horner could come after me for the pennies I will make
in royalties. Plus… if this does end up
being multiple books, it’s not the name of a series.
But it is the theme.
I actually only 'finished' the first book (or that one could
be two or three). I have elaborate notes
for the final two novels. Very elaborate
scene bullets written in purple ink after that last trip to Ireland… when I
climbed those green hills… and verified… that it really does still look like
that.
And the book(s) still look like that theme. But I’ll save the explanation of that for
another blog.
nu%3D3248)74%3B)2%2B%3B)WSNRCG%3D323336%3B8624%2B6nu0mrj.jpg)

Comments