377 days - Blog #45 to remember and not forget
Today there seemed to be a lot of images and posts that
utilized the phrases, “I remember,” “Always remember,” or “never forget.” After over a dozen photographs of the twin
towers with or without smoke, I had to wonder, is that even possible? To forget?
I have never met anyone for whom this day is a fuzzy
recollection. Indeed, it is a story we
all crave telling. Because, maybe, we
know the other person has a story, too.
And no matter the differences, we still felt that same thing that
day. No matter what city or town or
country in which we were living, breathing, being. It is all so crystal clear (like they say the
sky was that day – but that is a memory that isn’t mine).
I remember a lot of dates with unshakable clarity. April 15, 2013. December 3, 1999. December 14, 2012. Horrible days with horrid events that burned
the details of their discovery into my mind forever. And then there are the ones to which I am
more personally connected. Deaths of a
family member. The shock of a friend’s
death. Losing a job. Getting my heart broken. Days,
minutes, seconds I will always remember… and much though I might want to, I don’t
tell myself to never forget.
Why don’t we say always remember about the good days? I actually do remember a couple of
those. I remember where I was the day
Obama was elected and inaugurated the first time (however you feel about the presidency
that has since played out, in the history of the country those were pretty
awesome moments.) When the Supreme Court
decided in favor of gay marriage. When I
had a party where two bands played in my living room and we raised money for
New Orleans. I remember when my nieces
were born. When I got a job. When I got another job. When I published my book. When I got the part. When I saw a bunch of kids singing on the
stage. I want to hold onto those and not
forget.
But we do forget. We
let ourselves forget the before. When
you could say farewell as someone got on the plane. To get on a plane without taking off shoes or
other random clothing removals. To go to
a major event with a purse or a backpack.
That there was a point in this country’s foreign policy when we weren’t
sending drones or missiles to curb the unrest we did anything but quiet in the
Middle East. To look at a Muslim without
the prejudice of suspicion. To live in a
world with less fear. To live in a world
where it wasn’t okay for the police to have more guns, bigger vehicles, and
blindly become an army all in the name of homeland security. We forget the privacy and freedoms we let go
in the name of that security. We forget
that we send more and more young men and women to be broken by a war that doesn’t
end. We forget them when they come home
and can’t cope with the trauma or pay for their medical needs… or to put food
on their table. We forget the rescue
workers and their need for medical care for the diseases that came from
breathing in all that toxic dust. We
forget the humanity that followed in those first few weeks… the oneness of our
sorrow and hope for a better tomorrow. We
forget a lot of things.
I understand that such simple phrases are easier to
articulate or wrap one’s head around than the details of my last
paragraph. And… yes… I understand the
need to remember those who died. But
what about how those people lived? I
think it is a great tragedy to be remembered by how one left the world, as
opposed to how they occupied it. And
they lived in a world where this and its fallout was not possible. They lived without seeing a great many
things, but most of the lives they lost were full of so much more joy than that
which was taken from them, from their families, from us that day.
Memory is always selective.
And grief is subjective. Grief
has denial and anger and acceptance. I
think I’ve moved beyond the anger and don’t need to keep telling myself to
never forget. This day, that day, this
day is part of my history. It is part of
who I am now and always will be, as it is part of my world and anyone over the age
of twenty as well.
And for some, yes, it will fade away. Just like June 6, 1944 or December 7, 1941 or
November 11, 1918. Or July 15, 1857
(thank you PBS for making me never forget the Bibighar massacre). Or October 25, 1415. As we return to dust, so do our memories… as
have many memories of events and so many others I never knew to remember.
But today, I do remember.
I will keep telling my part in the story. And I will be grateful for the fact that
since that day there have been so many other glorious, wonderful weddings,
births, plays, books, friends, dinners, sunsets, moons, trips, walks, peace,
breaths in my body that I am happy to remember I am lucky to have.

Comments