377 days - blog #143, Anticipation
It’s 5:58 when I start this.
The point of the day when I’ve finished all the prep work and cleaned…
enough that I’m okay with showing my house to visitors. I’ve showered and
gotten dressed. I’ve even turned up the
thermostat. All the lights are on –
Christmas lights. I actually plugged in
all the candles in the windows, a completion I’ve only done a few nights this
week. I have a glass of wine as I sit in
front of the fire. And wait.
Anticipate.
It’s like those few minutes when you wait behind the curtain
or in the dark for the lights to come up and start the first scene of the
play. Or the last hours of waking before
going to sleep on Christmas Eve as a kid.
You know something exciting is coming.
Unpredictable. Something to which
you have looked forward for a while… and worked a bit to make it just
right. Well… sort of just right.
This is the last supper club of 2014. It draws to completion five years of supper
club dinners. I have missed a few – and had
two in a couple months. But that
basically means this is somewhere around my 60th consecutive monthly
dinner party.
The theme is the twelve days of Christmas. I have claimed the verses for 1, 10, and
11. I’m baking brie with pear and
caramelized onions. I tried to make a
clumsy decoration of a tree and a bird with the crust… but decorative pastry is
not my forte. For 11 pipers piping, I’m
making flautas, a Mexican dish that are supposed to resemble flutes (or pipes). For 10, I found an idea on the internet. In the Elizabethan times, a roast beef was
called a baron of beef. I’m make a rus
with capers… for the 10 lords a leaping.
Oh – and because the person who claimed 2 canceled, I did pick up some
Dove chocolates at the store yesterday.
I’m curious to see how my guests interpret the other verses.
I’m curious to see how my guests interpret the other verses.
That’s part of what has been fun about this routine – seeing
how my guests imagine a connection to the theme.
Five years. Wow. A lot has happened/not happened/changed in
those five years.
But I really only have a few minutes before I need to go
back to those last minute cooking preparations.
So I’ll save the reflection for the next one – our official anniversary
party.
I was prompted to start this blog not so much about the anniversary, but the thought of how this is what Christmas spirit is about. Having a meal with friends. Letting conversation linger over glasses of wine. Sharing hopes and thoughts and laughter. Connecting with other human beings in a very real way. No phones. No internet. Just the organic moment of talking and being present with one another.
I was prompted to start this blog not so much about the anniversary, but the thought of how this is what Christmas spirit is about. Having a meal with friends. Letting conversation linger over glasses of wine. Sharing hopes and thoughts and laughter. Connecting with other human beings in a very real way. No phones. No internet. Just the organic moment of talking and being present with one another.
I don’t expect a lot of wrapped items under the Christmas
tree this year… but I am pleased to know that sitting in front of it will be a
group of friends enjoying the warmth of the fire and one another’s
company. I am even more pleased to know
that I don’t have to wait until Christmas next year to have it that warmth
again.
Comments