377 days, blog #142 or three things I learned today



1. We take water for granted.  Every once in a while I’ve had the experience of water being shut off for a construction project or a burst pipe at the edge of the Charles River.  Today we didn’t have water in half of the building in which I work… which basically meant I had to walk to the other half of the building to use a bathroom.  The walk was pretty healthy.  But it meant no coffee at the café – or even the machine.  But as silly as those first world problems really are, it shows how very much I take it for granted.

2. There is a play called Appropriate by BrandenJacobs-Jenkins.  I want to direct it.  I add it to my bucket list of things to do if I ever get my act together and create a theater that will produce socially conscious plays in Central Mass.  It should be done in Worcester… but really, it should be done in Barre.  Granted, I haven’t read the whole script yet.  It isn’t even published… so maybe this impulse could change.  But I like that it is about white people confronting the dirty secret of racism.  I can’t imagine it would pass the committees of Barre Players.  But that’s why it needs to be performed.  Although, that begs the question… if no one were to come see it, would it be an accomplishment?  That then begs the question, how do I produce plays like this so people will come see and then talk after… and go home thinking about it?  Like I am now thinking about it.

3. I will miss The Colbert Report.  


Comments

Popular Posts