377 days, Blog #133 pondering Christmas lights
I drove home from the theater tonight and tried to notice
all the Christmas lights instead of the dreary rain turning into snow. I started by realizing all the windows that
showcased decorated trees even though the corner of my living room is just cold and empty with only the skirt and stand waiting for the day when weather and
daylight cooperate with an opportunity to bring home a tree (hopefully
Saturday).
![]() |
| Credit {lillith}via Flickr Creative Commons |
Then I started to notice all the color and twinkly shapes as
I drove down the dark (and if you aren’t from around here, let me tell you it’s
dark) road. I thought about how many
houses had these lights and distracted one from the yucky wet weather and the
gloom of a rural highway on a not quite winter yet evening. Then I remembered my favorite Dr. Who Christmas special (quite
possibly one of my all time favorite Christmas specials – I don’t watch Rudolph
or Frosty. I watch Dr. Who and The Vicar
of Dibley). The message and oft
repeated phrase is that this holiday signifies that we are halfway out of the
dark.
Well, we aren’t quite there yet… but isn’t that really what
the beauty of having lights at Christmas is?
At the very least, it is good to remember and think about that instead
of all the other garbage of the holiday season.
A chance to pull ourselves out of the dark.

Comments