377 Days - Blog #76 List item #9 or excellent, I smell a device
9. Submit a play to direct
This probably doesn’t come as any great shock to anyone who
has been reading this blog or having any sort of conversation with me in the
last month or two. But one thing I
intend to do this year – indeed, this calendar year – is to hand in a proposal
to direct at my theater alma mater in Barre.
If you’ve really been paying attention, you probably can
guess the play already.
Of course, submitting a proposal isn’t a foregone conclusion
that it is going to happen. There is a
(much appreciated) process of selection.
I am proposing something out of a usual context, but also within a
specific and often misunderstood niche.
But it’s still fun to think about. Actually, it’s really fun to think
about. And I like to think the fact that
I have this amount of energy and enthusiasm in the abstract notion means that
the actuality will be fun.
Tonight I had my first test run. A reading of my cutting as of this
point. A group of seven gathered around
my living room, with wine and cheese and delicious desserts… and a fire. We read through the entire script and laughed
and made pretty impressive timing for a Shakespeare play. I heard the lines from actors who don’t live
in my head and heard some new life in the dialogue as well as a contemplation of some
staging I hadn’t thought of before.
I really want to do this play.
I want to do it as a
Christmas play. I want to have
music. I want people to leave the show
after the bows with a giant grin on their faces, happy to have spent a few
hours in the theater, infected with enough joy to go home and not be stressed
out about the season. I want it to be an
entertaining show so the actors and crew aren’t stressed out about doing a show
during the holiday season.
There are still a lot of shapes that have yet to mold into
plan… but enthusiasm is a great way to start.
And I’ve definitely got that.
But now I think some sleep for my brain would be a good
thing.
Comments