377 days - Blog #65 upon the king('s daughter)
Not too long ago I reflected how my interest in history had
shifted in recent years from a fascination with the royalty to the
servants. I may have even written a blog
about that subject… but I’m not able to find it in my brief trolling through
the archives.
My other manuscript (the one now presently hanging out on a
back burner) is about a servant. Well…
someone who has a domestic role for a part of her life. A role with which I identify as much of my
professional life has been support to someone else. A role I understand well… and appreciate for
what one sees and knows… and has indirect influence.
But now I’ve gone back to this other manuscript. Which is very much about … a princess. Can I just say I HATE the word princess? I hated it ten years ago when I last spent a
lot of time on this story. I find it
even more gorge rising now with the proliferation of Disney pink animated empty
smiles. Never mind the triviality of a ‘real’
princess in the headlines about what someone wears or what ribbon she cuts.
It isn’t real. It isn’t…
what being a princess, or any sort of leader is about.
I wonder if I’m coming back to this because I feel
responsibility rooting itself in my life again.
Responsibility to which I feel an obligation of purpose and
determination of care. Something I felt
at a very young age – 18. And I… again…
will blame Mr. Shakespeare. Or Kenneth
Branagh.
But we can also blame Mark Rylance.
When I set about writing my princess, this speech was always
always playing at the back of my mind.
It probably didn’t help that I was also playing Patrick Doyle’s
soundtrack from the Branagh movie with regularity… but to me, that speech will
always sharpen into focus what it means to have the burden of leadership…
without the luxury of a choice.
Something I found in a piece of dialogue I read
tonight. “Appreciate the value of your
choices.”
Sage wisdom for anyone, not just someone awaiting a
crown. But certainly wisdom I will take
to heart as I choose the words to make my character anything but the pink
Disney type of princess.

Comments