377 days - Blog #73 a bit of Oakham culture
So tonight, Oakham surprised me. I can’t deny I have prejudice against what
this town can offer me for a cultural experience, but I keep finding ways in
which it and my fellow townspeople prove me wrong.
Tonight the town library had a local author reading. It caught my attention because I love local
authors – especially the ones who determine to become entrepreneurs by tackling
the publishing business on their own.
But also because, well, this is Oakham.
I’m glad to know there are more writerly folks in this town .
It wasn’t a very long event.
Or, rather, I didn’t stay for much longer than a half hour. It was the first reading for this young
author. And she was young – still in
high school. Most of the audience were
familiars, and in a lot of ways I felt like I was crashing a party. But I get that. My first readings were full of family and
friends, whose conversations usurped any supportive strangers waiting in line
for a question or a signature. Good
lesson there. Always make your customers
feel like they are part of the party.
But I crashed that party.
The reading was in the room of the library where I spent many hours as
a middle school kid. Now it is the
fiction room. In my day, it was
non-fiction. I would hang out there
after school to wait for a ride (in that awkward half a year when I was in
Oakham’s school, but our house wasn’t finished so we lived in another
town). Or summers - in the days before internet trolling – and
I would go in that room to look up… whatever.
I’d read biographies of 40’s movie stars. Or flip pages of a picturesque encyclopedia
(remember those things?). Or open those
dusty volumes with genealogies of the town’s history and I pieced together
random information about the family for which my road was named and who owned
the house whose foundation remains in the woods across the street. I loved that room, that library… and the
atmosphere of books.
It was a great place for a book reading.
The unexpected twist was a number of my elementary school
teachers were there. They knew my face
(I also look a lot like my mom who was active in the town), but I’m sure the
memory of who I was exactly was a little fuzzy.
Still, it was nice to see them there, supporting a student from the school
to which I went. Knowing that the school
to which I went created another writer.
It was curious, too, to be there and put my own experience
as a novice writer into a different perspective. Things I’ve learned since that first reading/signing
three years ago. I was impressed at how
not red her face was. I can’t get up in
front of any audience to read my own words without burning to nearly purple.
I was very impressed with her
reading. I wrote a lot in junior and
senior high. But much though I dreamt of
being published at that age, I couldn’t imagine those tomes (even if self
publishing were an option then) that I would have the discipline or knowledge
to get myself to that point. I was
wowed.
I gave her my card and a rushed explanation of the WWC. Maybe she might take up the invitation. Maybe she’ll just think I’m some crazy Oakham
person. But I will give the girl a bit
of a boost. Her name is Erin
Foreman. She wrote a novel called
Remember Me. You can order it online… or
check it out of the Oakham library. She’s
16. I think she's just getting started.
Also, give the (Oakham) Fobes Memorial Library a Facebook like. There is a young new librarian who is doing great things for this small town.
And now, I have to go back to writing my manuscript – the one
I was writing at 16.

Comments