377 days, blog #151 my ephiphany for Epiphany



Today is Epiphany.  It is a day that has historically had the same excitement for me as Christmas, as my mother hosts a pretty spectacular gathering  of family and friends.  She prepares a feast of hors d’oeuvres and cookies and a batch of Swedish glug.  It’s a good day… but as my feet and my spacy brain will tell you right now, it is a long day.

Epiphany, for those of you who weren’t raised on the tradition, is the feast of the three kings.  It is the day when the three wise men or kings showed up to pay their tribute to Jesus.  Technically Epiphany is on January 6th.  But it is observed on the Sunday closest to it.  An extension of Christmas… though in a lot of traditions, it is the day to celebrate Christmas… because it was the day the kings came.  Which kind of makes more sense than the day Mary was shoved into a barn to give birth amongst the cows and sheep.

Anyway… that’s not the point of this.

The other meaning of epiphany is more literary.  It is, according to Merriam Webster, “a usually sudden manifestation or perception of the essential nature or meaning of something.”  I had such a perception yesterday, which I consider very apropos for this weekend.

I found myself with some news and a frustration with the lack of movement on a decision.  A decision I felt – feel – is quite important to happen quickly.  Then I realized as much as I lamented this lack of solution from others, I was just as guilty in my passiveness.  So I seized the opportunity and put my thoughts together to craft an answer.  It has yet to play out, but I feel a lot more clarity on the matter.  I also very much feel that I learned something very valuable about that cliché of not being part of the problem, but being a solution.  Even if it requires a little indelicacy.

Anyway, I am tired.  I’m sure, dear Readers, you will hear more of this as it plays out in the week to come.  But for the now, relish these last lingering days of Christmas.

Comments

Popular Posts