377 days, blog #168 - A Streetcar Named Desire or how I spent my Saturday evening
I have to say, I didn’t really think what was missing from
my theater life was another chance to see A Streetcar Named Desire. I have some vague recollection of reading it
in high school. I’m not even sure that’s
true. I also have a vague recollection
(that I have to verify later this afternoon when I go to the theater and can
track down a playbill) that I ran lights for a production of it twenty years
ago. I also have a vague memory of
Laurence Olivier taking credit for Vivien Leigh’s brilliance as Blanche… the
point at which I stopped reading his autobiography and stopped believing in the
brilliance of Laurence Olivier. The fact
that these are vague recollections indicates to me that I appreciate its significance
in our American theater canon, but it really isn’t significant to my predilections.
That said, last night I went to see a production of
Tennessee Williams’ famous play. I went
mostly entirely because of friends involved.
And let’s face it, theater people, that’s why we go to 2/3 if not 9/10 of
the shows we see. And that is a good thing.
It was a good thing last night, because I was pleased with what I had an
opportunity to see.
One of my favorite parts of supper club now is the question
I pose to my guests about their creative accomplishments. It inspires me, not only to be creative in my
own life but to seek out the completion of these projects when I can. I guess it is like going to a talkback of a
play or reading author’s notes in a book.
I’m not sure if it is better to hear these details before or after a
production, but it definitely adds another layer of appreciation while sitting
in the audience. Knowing how much a
friend put into her performance of Stella.
Her time, her emotion, and her passion.
It gave an inner burst of hurrah the moment the lights first came up on
her in costume moving about the set of her tiny house, as if to say yes, you
are here. Well done for getting to the
starting line.
From there, she and the rest of the cast unfolded that story
of which I had a vague recollection with enough intrigue to make me glad I didn’t
quite remember. (Although I was able to
mouth some lines which is why I suddenly thought, oh yeah I ran lights for this
show, didn’t I?). The characters were
vivid without being caricatures (which is especially tough for anyone playing
crazy, so major kudos to the young woman who played Blanche). I was invested in their outcome… and I hoped
(even though that recollection wasn’t as vague) that the ending had a little less
sadness.
I also remembered that it was long. The production from 20 years ago was in the
summer – before Barre Players had air conditioning. I remember the sound effects of our
thunderstorm being really lame with the real thing happening outside our tin
ceiling… and that the play just went on for hours. Maybe that’s why I’ve avoided it. I have to say, the one I sat through last
night didn’t feel long. And I say that
even with a twitchy back this weekend. That
may be trivial… but really, don’t talk yourself out of this play because you
think it is long.
I liked the set. This can be a really elaborate set (and I
wish I could remember the one I worked on), but with the furniture and pieces
of dressing, the world of a small house in NOLA was established pretty well. I do
wish all the theaters that perform at the Singh would band together and get
some sort of flooring to cover up that ugly carpet, but I was able to overlook
that distraction with the abstract of windows and walls and furniture. Yes, one of those walls fell over in a tense
scene. (This cast and crew had a strike
from a larger theater and load in to this space all within 24 hours. That needs to be noted because the
instability of the wall was the only blatant hiccup of that whirligig of
theatrical let’s put it together madness.)
I’m not going to deny the wall falling made me laugh – laugh because I
totally know what that is like (I mean seriously, we’ve ALL been there) and
because an actor had a great adlib. But
I love those moments. The ones that
could seriously derail the authenticity of a play, but they don’t. The mistakes break the illusion for a second,
but then they cement the existence of that world in which the actors have
invited us as audience. Because by
rolling with those flubs (be they lines or props or missed cues or broken
sets), they convince me they believe where they are and who they are enough not
to get mired down in what went wrong.
They make it go right. And so
this cast did. Plus, I smirk again as I
write this because I know that cast will always have the story months and years
from now when they see each other at another show or someone’s party when they
can laugh together and say oh my god, do you remember that time the wall fell
over? That is the glue that sticks us
theater people together.
My last note of appreciation for this production is the use
of music and dance between the scenes. I
seem to remember that is in the script… and it is supposed to set the backdrop
of a sultry southern city during which all this takes place. I didn’t like all the choices, but I
acknowledge I am picky about music in shows.
Music is my gateway into a play’s world as a director. And some of this didn’t work for me. That said, I think it was important because
it really made me ask myself why… and think about what this show says to me –
with my own history that I choose not to remember so clearly. Maybe this needs some reconsideration and
revisiting. It prompted me to see that I
still have a copy of the script (with a bare chested Marlon Brando on the cover)
and take a look at it this morning. I
think that is an enormous value in theater.
I think it is important for directors to take creative risks and make
the audience think. Not agree, because
um… this is art. But to contemplate the
disagreement with a respect of interpretation.
And I’m doing that – but it is only noon the next day, so I haven’t
reached a conclusion.
I have one major dislike.
And I wrote about this the other day.
I paid $25 for a ticket. I’m not
cool with paying $20 or more for a play in this area. But I do it for my friends because (if you
aren’t going to click the link and read my other blog), I understand the cost
of doing business in the creative world.
I am also starting to understand the cost of charging too much. This is a dialogue I really hope to have with
my theater community, because ultimately it is my wish to build our community
and its audience. We should be allies
not adversaries in the business of doing theater. We should be as appreciative of our loyal audience’s
budgets as we hope our audience is of our hard work.
So that’s how I spent my Saturday night. It was well worth it. If you would like to check this out, they go
on for a matinee in about 60 minutes, but also have three more performances next
weekend in Whitinsville. All the info can be found on the 4th Wall website.


Comments