377 days, Blog #167 or an attempt to unravel my latest theater pet peeve (I fail to do so by the way)
Okay, artsy friends.
Bear with me here. I’m about to go
into a territory that you immediately don’t think you can understand… or more
plainly, want to.
Numbers.
I spent a lot of time last fall making a chart (well I spend
a lot of my time making charts) about the season schedules of theaters in
central Massachusetts. I found a curious
list of patterns. Like every theater –
no matter how many shows they do a season – typically performs something in
November or December. And yet, even with
this obvious staring us in the face, we keep on booking (the same) shows for
that slot. Well most of us do
anyway. But even if it isn’t November or
December, it does affect September and October in terms of talent pools. And audience pool.
Whatever. Who cares
about that stuff? I just want to do my
show. I just want to get to do the
theater that I want to do. And if the
big bad board/bored members say no way, well I’ll just go out and do it on my
own. Yeah, I’ve had that thought. I still have that thought. In fact, that’s why I’m looking at the
numbers. But I’m going to give away some
of my conclusions.
Or one.
We are cannibalizing ourselves.
I put this analysis under a rock – well, more like a folder
in my home office file cabinet. To, I
don’t know, retrieve when I might discover someone who actually cares about
this stuff. But this week, I found it
trickling through my brain again. I was
looking at some recent invites to see shows of friends. I want to see more than I do. In theory.
Mostly, I really like going back to my sanctuary in the woods on the
weekend evenings, light a fire, make a cup of tea and plug away on the brain
dump of my first draft. But after just
completing a show, I remember how priceless the appearance of any friend, near
and dear or distant acquaintance, in the audience is. The validation of what you do, of who you are
as an artist, and the art itself is so meaningful. That, and well, the income that totally
justifies the fact a board/bored put enough trust in you to use the building
and its resources for a few weeks. But
it all comes together with an appreciation I have really come to know from
writing – that someone is willing to PAY for something I create. Which actually brings me back to where I
meant to go with this paragraph. Paying
for our mutual art.
It’s a worthy investment.
I spend my life analyzing costs of things –indeed the costs of artistic
things. I also know how to spot the fat
and waste pretty quick. Battles I don’t
want to pick – or maybe I do (cough, cough plastic flowers). I get overhead. Legitimate rental, material, and (for a
generous minority) staffing costs. I don’t
know, however, if I get why we are letting theater get to be so expensive.
I don’t count exactly, but I notice that a number of
theaters are creeping towards the $20 per ticket cost, if not surpass it. I don’t like that.
Because, you figure you spend $20 for a ticket. Then you spend another (at least) $20 to go
out with friends after. If you have to
pay for parking or get another drink – that is $50. Which, yes, I will do for friends. But it forces me to pick what friends I can
support. Because do that twice in a
weekend, that is $100. Do it every
weekend, it could be hundreds of dollars a month. Not everyone wants to spend that kind of money - or can. So... not only are we conflicting with our fellow theaters through our schedule, but also by stealing money from our audience's budget.
Except… I get it.
Sort of.
Sort of.
It’s been a while since I’ve been to a sold out community
theater show. Granted, I don’t go to a
lot of musicals. I know that’s often an
easy seat filler. Except… not always. Especially when you look at that chart I did
and see how many people do musicals in the spring or summer or fall. Winter is really the only time there isn’t a
proliferation of song and dance. But
there are a lot of rich offerings that aren’t musicals. We actually have quite a few theaters here in
Central Mass. I have 23 in my chart –
and those are just the ones with consistent seasons (or a decent website – but I
won’t even go there … right now). There
are all sorts of little theater companies popping up here and there. And that’s great. I mean, you can see Shakespeare. Or Neil Simon. Or something new. Or even something edgier than you might
typically see. No Pinter yet. And people are still weirdly prejudiced about
the bard. But my point is you can
probably find something to suit your fancy every month of the year. Sometimes in duplicate (seriously, how many
Massachusetts theaters are doing Other Desert Cities in May?).
I like seeing people try new things or old things in a new
way. I love being able to be a part of
it both on and off the stage. I love
doing the art I have loved since I was young enough to not remember loving it.
But who are we doing it for?
![]() |
| Credit Andrew Jackson via Flickr Creative Commons |
I have yet to collect numbers to validate my hypothesis, but
mere observation will indicate that most audiences are half fellow theater
people. Some of this crosses over with
the other sure bet of friends and family of the cast, but it basically means we
are pulling audience from the same source.
This has a lot of merits. Like a
guarantee there will be someone in the audience. We see our friends. Easy cultivation for other shows. Maybe they are the ones who want to avoid
seeing the farce that has been done nine gazillion times and will go down the
dark and dirty rabbit hole of Pinter.
But still. That’s maybe ten
people. Or if you have a larger cast, you
could score a 40 some in your audience to buy $20 tickets so the show breaks
even or gets close to it.
That’s a pretty big burden to put on those theater
people/friends, isn’t it? Because they
are the ones that show up, they are the ones who have to pay more to account
for the ones who don’t. But as long as
enough of them do, it’s okay to do the plays (that I would rather see by the
way) that aren’t Neil Simon or Annie (the plays non-theater people want to see). In other words – and what I’ve taken way too
long to get to – we are making our friends foot the bill for our passion
projects.
I don’t know if I’m okay with that.
I don’t know if I’m not okay with that.
Mostly, I would like to talk about this with my fellow
theater people and friends. And I
will. But I’ve decided this brain dump
needed to happen first to help me find a better way to express my argument
question. I don’t know that I’m doing
too well right here, right now. But
maybe it will provoke a comment or two.
It’s really important to support art.
It’s unfair, I think, to expect it of our friends. All the time.
Or without the humility of a request/gratitude/acknowledgment of what
you are asking.
What’s the alternative then?
Well, that’s what I’m trying to figure out. Is it better to charge more so you don’t lose
everything on a show that will only attract 30 people a performance? Or take a gamble and charge a little bit less
in the hopes of doubling the audience?
But where does that audience come from … especially if we are already
asking those same people to come to show after show after show? It takes a lot of work to convince
non-theater people that coming to some show they’ve never heard of is worth giving
up an evening at home or doing something else that doesn’t cost $20. And who has time for that convincing? I didn’t have time or the necessary brain
matter for it when I directed. I was too
busy directing. As are a lot of theaters
and production staff.
But if we can’t attract the audiences, are we doing the
right sort of theater? No, let me
backtrack. Are we doing the theater we
want to do in the most, hm, what’s the word I want to say? Efficient seems antithetical to anything
artistic. Are we putting into practice
method, location, planning, and consideration that will yield the most
beneficial/ spectacular result? Probably
not always. Miraculously sometimes it
does happen without thought of any of that. And maybe there are times
when it does have to trip up and fail… because that is how we learn.
Except… are we learning if all we do is go start another
theater so we have to slice that pie even thinner? Is it learning if it is only about the bottom
line? Is forcing oneself to be
financially responsible an opportunity for greater creativity or for
diminishing it?
I don’t have any answers.
I will still go theater and support my friends. And support theater. I want to do that. But I also want to see full houses and broader audiences. I've only begun to contemplate this. I may change my mind again. But for now, I think I've occupied your and my time aplenty.

Comments