377 days, Blog #165 a little everyday magic or capturing what a camera could not
There are a lot of things I miss about living in a city – or
even just nearer to a city. One of my
favorite things to do in Boston (and would put into practice on a summer’s
evening when a car ride was an easy way to get a breeze or on the way home from
some event in the city) was to drive down Memorial Drive on the Cambridge side
and look across the river at the city’s night horizon. It was breathtaking.
I remember taking a friend along that path once and she
argued that she preferred the stars. I grew
up with stars (of which you get precious little in the city) and have now
returned to such a nightly view. Granted
the tree line often impedes some of the spectacular, but it is still awesome.
Tonight is such a night.
There is still the crisp coolness of a winter chill – something that
tends to sharpen the dark sky into a deeper clarity. There is also still a pretty significant snow
cover. Our Easter/Passover full moon is
three nights away so the whole world outside my window is blue. That blue that isn’t quite real and not
entirely otherworldly but just enough in between to suggest the shadow of
magic.
And maybe that’s why I’ve decided to take particular notice
tonight driving home from a writein where I have been crafting a story rooted
in magic. Magic so old it is not easily
defined, like the blue color of the moon reflecting off the snow.
There was also a star.
Perhaps a planet. Yes, it was a
planet. I just looked it up. Saturn – which is kind of amusing considering
a scene in Almost, Maine. The joke was
you don’t wish upon a planet – it’s when you wish upon a star. I decided to wish upon it anyway.
And maybe that is where the magic lies.

Comments