377 days, Blog #166 courage and consequence



So I’m a bit of a coward.

I’ve been thinking a lot lately about taking politics out of my writing.  Sad thing is I want to start making more money from writing.  I don’t think readers really like my politics.  I have strong opinions, but no desire to make people angry or convert them.  I’m okay with making people uncomfortable, because I don’t mind being uncomfortable in my thinking.  I consider that a sign from the universe that I need to learn something.

Clearly, right now I need to learn a lot of things.

There is a local blogger who does that sort of thing I mentioned above.  They express a strong opinion to incite anger.  I can’t say that my understanding of this writing is well researched and that my opinion is an abrupt conclusion from the three or four posts I’ve had the stomach to read.   Either I end reading shaking with frustrated anger or crying because I am so disappointed in my community for agreeing enough to share and increase the readership.  I’m also disappointed in myself for reading.  More disappointed for not having the courage to express how very much I disagree with the author or the poster… but that’s the thing… I’m afraid of my opinion being unliked – or worse yet, mocked.

No, let me strike that.  I’m not afraid of having an unpopular opinion.  That’s the story of my life.  And I know quite frankly that being unpopular is a twisted form of popularity.   I’m an adult; I don’t need to be liked by everyone.  I do try to avoid being hated… but hey, I have enough calloused skin to appreciate that is going to happen no matter what person I am.  I’m mostly afraid that what I say doesn’t matter.  Or if I provoke discomfort by asking the question, I am actually doing a disservice to the issue by making it once more something to avoid.

A few months ago I found out second hand that some people about whom I care very much appreciate my posts, but had to make the comment that I sometimes go too far.  Well, yeah.  That was the point.  But then… if that is the belief and they stop reading… do I not hurt the good things just for the benefit of rattling one cage or two on a few topics?

And if I am a writer who wants an audience, how badly do I hurt myself?

Am I selfish for wanting to build a platform for fiction and silence my voice in the fight for social justice?

I can’t tell you how much this tortures me and makes me ashamed.  I’ve been given a voice.  Not really a strong voice, but determined enough to fake strength.  Except, I’m a female… and the thing is when you are determined or strong, you are often cast as a bitch.  Or in the case of my political leanings, a whiny entitled leftie hippie. Both of which are stereotypes used to weaken my voice and opinions.  And maybe they have.

Racial bias is a very important topic to me, which should be no great shock to anyone who has read this blog with some regularity.  I’ve had the good fortune of a career that has enabled me not just to learn but to have very engaging and thought provoking conversations about this social injustice.  I enjoy those conversations.  They really make me think and question and seek out ways to learn so I can know better.  I feel it has put me in a good enough place to know that I am comfortable with being called out for anything I say or do that exhibits a bias or… insensitivity.  I just look at that as an opportunity to be a better person.

There is a lot of dialogue happening in Worcester… or at least the airwaves I seem to be reading… where people don’t want to be called out for racial bias.   The rally cry of reverse racism is flung at those who question and heels dig in the ground insisting that they don’t see race so it isn’t the a problem.  The problem is manufactured by those who see it.  (People of color, who might actually live it.  Those who don’t live it can say it is imagined.)

This isn’t my fight, so I stay quiet.  Because… I’m just not in a place right now where I want to enter the argument.  But… isn’t this what I was thinking about when I came back to Worcester, fueled with thoughts after working for Urban Improv?  Seeing the seething tension and wanting to be part of the solution.  But if I only succeed in alienating people who don’t want to listen… how can I help solve anything?

I really shouldn’t make myself so altruistic.  The plain and simple fact is this is about greed.  I want more readers.  People who will pay to read my words and not pass me over in this crowded sea of literature because they don’t like a few things I have to say.

Maybe this is just another form of doubt – or the ‘resistance’ as mentioned in my favorite The War of Art.  An excuse to not do anything and just think myself into crippled inaction.  Or maybe I just wrote my way into the thing – the voice I want as a writer.  A strong voice that isn’t afraid to stand up and speak a truth.  Who won’t be silenced with the fear of being condemned for speaking that truth as a bitch or blinded by some hormonally askew emotional disorder.

Earlier this week, I put on Facebook that freedom of speech does not mean free from consequence.  That goes for all speech - the good, the ugly, and the ill informed.  Everything we say has consequence.  It’s unavoidable.  It could actually be a good consequence – people who like what I have to say, no matter how cage rattling.  And there will be bad, even with the good.  People write some really nasty reviews on Amazon.  But I know that is more about the speaker than it is about me.  Every action has a reaction.  I just have to choose the action.

Because the same rule applies to silence.

Comments

Unknown said…
Hello my dear. This is an excellent post.

Lots of thoughts going through my mind while I read it, and much like so much in my life, I don't have the time or energy to TRULY convey what I would like to.

For example, I know that I am the subject (sometimes specifically, sometimes generally) of parts of this post, and I think it's interesting how closely you and I feel about many things, especially some of the subjects you wrote about here.

Perhaps sometimes you feel that people are not listening when really they are just living their lives. And it doesn't always coincide with your values or your experience of life at the moment. I could justify a lot of the things I post and say, but I can't... I'm tired and I'm passionate about other things, and I'm just trying to get through the days.

My reason for posting the article earlier this week was complicated and (at least in my mind) justified. It hurt me to think that you consider me as someone who would ever spread hate, or not choose love. The article was intimately connected to the education system, which I am currently inside as a teacher... and struggling, immensely. I was posting the article as a way to shine a light on something that hit home. Like you said, words are sometimes there to fire people up, and we can both admit that Turtle Boy at least manages to do that. No, I didn't agree with everything they posted, but how could I?! There are very few things in this world I have ever completely agreed with, and so I either take the good with the bad and allow people to filter it themselves, or I would never be able to share another piece of writing in my life. Most likely including my own.

Anyhow, sometimes in a virtual playground, I get the feeling that you really don't know me the way I think (or thought) we know each other. Or that perhaps you just don't like me very much?

Anyhow, all this to say: I really enjoyed this blog post. I could seriously write two thousand words in response, but I'll leave it at this, and hopefully we can pick up the conversation sometime in real time.
The Witty Fool said…
I very much appreciate the fact you read this and took the time to post your thoughts.

It is kind of apropos that something I wrote about my fear of my writing provoked a response I did not intend or imagine.

Anyway, I am sorry if there is anything you took personally to the point of being hurt. Yes, yours was A post I read and commented on this last week. It is just one of so many instances of that blog (I will not identify it so it shows up in a search) that I have seen on my feed. I actually felt that your response was a thoughtful one and showcased your perspective as a teacher, one from which I readily admit I do not see things now or in other parts of my life.

That said, this post was mostly provoked from my own shame and frustration with myself about the larger picture of writing. I want to be a writer who makes a living by her art. I want people to read what I write and be moved – moved to be better people and think about topics that interest me in my fiction writing, but also (like I said) quite selfishly to pay for my writing. I really do fear that my opinions of the world are not what people want to read because they have other things they want to think about or spend time doing. That’s okay. Of course it’s okay. But… it’s not really okay if I want an audience to pay (attention) for my art.

It is frustrating when I see people who write and get reactions by saying cruel/crude things. I want to know what is wrong with what I say that it isn’t good enough to be shared or talked about. And that isn’t meant as a woe is me contemplation. It is a legitimate search of my soul and curiosity of how I need to change to find an audience who cares enough to put aside whatever and engage with my thoughts. Maybe I don’t have it. And if I could have it, would I really want to change? That is really what scares me the most.

I do feel the part of this with which you resonated (as are many things) is better suited for conversation and multiple perspectives. I hope we can have that conversation some day, because I do value your thoughts and vision of this world.
xoxo

Popular Posts