of snow, stars, and clearing a sidewalk

It is an interesting observation to note how people clear away snow. Especially in the city. But it could apply in the suburbs where I spent the bulk of the snowstorm, too. This is completely a generalization, but it seems there are people who move the frozen powder to clear a path for their particular vehicle and then there are people who clear a path for public safety. I realize there are many complexities to how and why people choose to shovel or plow or not – yes, I get not everyone is physically or financially capable to provide the service – but I do find it an interesting insight into how people see their place in the world.


I am not going to paint myself noble by lumping myself in with the second group. Certainly working in places open to the public always makes me think of ice, but I have crazy OCD when it comes to shoveling. So… it is a selfish motivation that I must get as close to pavement as possible and move the snow away from the end of the driveway. But I don’t lack sympathy with people who just don’t see the world the way I do.

Doesn’t mean they are wrong. Doesn’t mean that I am right. We all take in our responsibilities to society differently. And inasmuch, we provide different and equally necessary solutions.

Or, in some cases – let’s be frank – none at all.

But at least the snow melts and goes away. So, whatever we do or do not do, Apollo helps us out with the remedy. 

Except, like Cassius said, ‘the fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves.’ Wait a minute… wasn’t I just discussing remedy? Not fault. Who said anything about blame? Because really, whether one shovels or not, the skies will still open up and let that white stuff fall. No matter what we think we can do to stop it (although I put in a push for getting off oil to stop messing with the atmosphere). Point is, snow falls. It’s no one’s fault. Nobody makes the clouds linger or the temperature drop or the wind shift across the country and then bounce back from the ocean. We can’t point a finger at anyone, even ourselves, for that.

All we can do is decide whether or not to clean it up and prevent a slippery sidewalk so Jane Doe doesn’t slip and break her elbow.

But I’m not really just talking about shoveling and snow, now am I? Well, I kind of am. Because there are some sidewalks in serious need of attention. But… there is a weird sort of atmosphere in the country right now. The angry voices are tempered. The cold realization of consequence has permeated our thoughts. People want to start clearing the way… I believe. But I’m not so sure that for some individuals it is more than just to get out by themselves.

I admit I did not watch Sarah Palin’s address. I don’t want to, and so I immediately discredit any opinion I have of it because I only ‘know’ what she said through other commentary. I’m not going to comment on her incredibly poor selection of vocabulary. Nor am I going to say that she was to blame. I don’t think that. I really don’t. I don’t like what she has been throwing into the ether since her campaign. It is not nice. And while it may not be the cause, it certainly isn’t helpful. And the fact she made a point to make a statement about how it isn’t her fault… doesn’t sit well with me.

But, really, at the end of the day, it isn’t about Sarah Palin. It isn’t about whether or not someone was crazy. It’s about me, looking at a spot of snow that can melt and turn to ice and decide if I want to just leave it there because it isn’t my immediate problem. Or if I want to make the extra effort and do something that isn’t just about me, but for the benefit of others.

Comments

Popular Posts