A Moment of Hubris and Intolerance of Intolerance

One needs a leather skin as an artist. We take criticism… we seek it… in order to improve our piece of work. And we give it, too. I’ve come to a certain peace about commentary… that it is a reflection of the world of the person who gives it. But that said, there are some sentences that still prick at my sensitivity.

I just received some informative feedback on my manuscript. I appreciate that not everyone sees the world with my glasses. Even people with whom I enjoy a relative sympathy about a great many things don’t always appreciate my art or my choice of art. That’s what it is. So… I deal. And I DO attempt to accept the fact that the person might have a valid point. I consider it and see what I might do to improve my work based on that offer of perspective.

But… ick. Embedded in this recent commentary were a few not so subtle phrases about the homosexual relationships in my novel. And you know… the point of plot and relevance to the overall arc of the story was something I totally agreed with. In fact, I’ve already edited and remedied that issue in terms of the plot. But… the fact that this… person… had the crassness to imply that making one of my characters into a lesbian after she had a relationship with a male was unnatural. And that it might limit the audience to which my novel might appeal… ooh, man, that eliminated my cool.

It also chucked out any legitimacy to anything else – not to mention any forgiveness of misspelling in the opinions on my ability to craft a story and throw words together.

Yes, this is a rant and indulgence of my ego. It is also the second time I’ve had a comment of this nature and felt compelled to vent about it. But I do NOT tolerate ignorance or intolerance. Even over fictitious persons. Because it is still an idea. And ideas like this are poison.



Comments

Popular Posts