February ... Do Good and Have Fun Month
Not quite two years ago, it seemed I was filling the inboxes of friends, family, and a fair number of passing acquaintances with the notices for my upcoming performances or events. Well… I’ve nested myself off stage for eighteen months or so. I have made more of an effort with the social gatherings… but still maintain a relatively hermit-like existence for half the week.
That is… until February. This month is really quite full of activity and noteworthy causes. Worthy enough to depart from my lambasting of late and shout out an invitation or three.
In 2006, I hosted my first Mardi Gras party. I wanted to have a social gathering to beat away the winter doldrums. But I also wanted to do something for the people of New Orleans. The first one was a lot of fun and raised a wee bit of funds. But the next year was something spectacular, with live music, bourbon chicken, lots of beads… and a really nice amount of money going to the Jazz Foundation. I regret that a change in dwelling space and other circumstances of life killed my momentum.
But… it’s back this year. For Haiti. At the Greyhound Pub in Worcester. ON the actual Mardi Gras. Tuesday, February 16th at 7pm. The $9 cover will get you jambalaya, more bourbon chicken, and all sorts of Cajun food. The Whisky Witch is co-hosting and will be tasting out some bourbon. So, come join us. Indulge before your Lenten restraint and inspire your good will by supporting this very worthy cause.
That’s not all. There’s more.
On Friday, February 26th, some amazing and dedicated actors from Urban Improv have put together their own party. The shindig is at Union Street in Newton, MA and doors open at 7:30pm. The cover/donation is $7 and will get you a buffet and the sounds of four great local musicians. The proceeds go to the kids of Urban Improv. They are great kids. They totally deserve it.
And finally… but not least, that very same weekend, I will be performing in The Vagina Monologues. Yup. Making a step back on the stage, telling the story of “My Vagina Was My Village.” It is a fantastically moving, funny, important piece. There are only three performances. Friday and Saturday at 8pm. Sunday at 2pm. At the Stageloft Theater in Sturbridge. All proceeds go to Abbey’s House in Worcester.
So… come out and have some fun this month. And when you do, you can do some good.


Comments