Invasion of the birther body snatchers
One of the top stories on the BBC website today is how an accomplished South African runner has to PROVE that she is female. Because looking up her legs is apparently not good enough. Her birth certificate declares her a woman, but still she has to be tested to prove her hormone levels make her a female.
Granted, that’s South Africa. They aren’t a freedom loving country like we are in America, where we question whether or not our president is a Constitutional citizen. Well, that obviously explains why he wants to make us a socialist regime. Why he wants the government to take over the country and force us all to have health care. Because he’s Hitler.
My Congressman, Barney Frank, got a lot of press this week because he basically told some woman flouting a picture of Obama with a Hitler mustache that she was from another planet. I think ole Barney was right on the money there. In fact, I really am starting to wonder if there is some sort of invasion of the body snatchers happening right now. Because people are just so bizarre.
I really, really, really don’t understand how anyone can compare our current president to Hitler. How can anyone, with a clear conscience, compare the United States to Germany in the 1930’s? There are SOME socioeconomic parallels. I will grant you that. But we didn’t just lose a world war. We weren’t just forced to disarm by half the western world. Our inflation isn’t completely out of control (I’m not saying it’s good – but it’s NOT Germany ala 1933). AND most importantly, MOST significantly, we are not having the Gestapo show up at our doors giving us mere minutes to pack our lives into a suitcase before shoving us off to a ghetto. Or get on a train in weather like this, crammed in like cattle, only to get off, strip down and have someone look us over to decide if we get in line for a striped uniform or a gas shower. Because we are a Jew, or a queer, or a Catholic, or someone who disagrees with the president. We are not being annihilated by the millions.
I care about health care. I want to see it become universal. But what sickens me most about this argument is that not enough people are saying it is disgusting to invoke the name and comparison of Hitler. He was an EVIL EVIL man, surrounded by EVIL hateful men telling him how to eliminate an entire race. Kill them. Is Obama really trying to kill you by saying you can or cannot have a government healthcare plan? No. So stop saying he’s Hitler.
We should be ashamed for saying that. We should be ashamed for not standing up to the morons who use that comparison. There are six million souls who lost their lives because of Hitler.
Maybe, really, it isn’t that Obama is like Hitler. Maybe it’s that we are a people who are letting ourselves be swayed by hate. Or we aren’t raising our voices loud enough in protest. Nobody believed someone like Hitler could rise to power… but he did. Not just because people liked him. Because not enough people bothered to speak up against the hate that gave him power.
Comments
But I'm with you on this. Calling ANYONE Hitler is just plain wrong. No matter what Obama says or does, I can't get behind that. So on this, we agree :)
I'm not saying I'm guiltless of my own flippant references to Hitler. I am with Mel Brooks in that we should take the power out of his name. But, I just wish everyone would consider what the Hitler regime really was. It was hate and murder.
I think it's important to doubt and question and respectfully disagree with our politicians and each other. It's a necessity for democracy. But I lose respect when the dissenters forget the six million massacred seventy years ago.