I busied myself to think of a story



So maybe you know this story. Maybe you don’t. I’m putting it here to start myself on a journey I still have yet to map… but there is really no use in standing still if you want to go somewhere. It doesn’t help guide direction one little bit.

Last November I was not in a good place. I was possessed with a melancholy I didn’t ask for. I tried to escape it, but mostly sought relief in idle moments in front of my computer with a glass of wine. I was running to make up for the long hours of sitting. But at the end of the day my brain wasn’t working enough.

So I picked up a book on a whim. I have quite a number of friends who read vampire novels. I liked Anne Rice when that movie came out. But I never pursued her novels with any great fever. I found myself sucked into the HBO series that came on last fall. It was a pleasing distraction to my pouting. There was a love story that delighted my fancy. But then it was done. So I read the insanely popular book.

I liked it enough to not put it down. There were a lot of things I didn’t like. But mostly what I didn’t like was myself for being so catty. The cause of my hurt last fall was that people criticized me without logic. I felt the cruelty of words said against me so sharply. I promised myself after that experience that I would think twice before I opened my mouth to criticize anyone ever again – especially if that criticism is just an attempt to deflect my own angst of insecurity. That’s a pretty tough vow, let me tell you. Especially when I’m reading a book and the neglected writer in me is turning her nose up at syntax and story structure… and just jealous that someone else made a daring attempt and thrived.

So… before I let myself mouth another criticism, I decided to reprimand myself. I’ve never written a vampire novel. What the hell do I know about what makes it good? Or not good? So I shut up and stopped complaining.

Then it was Thanksgiving weekend. I was on my way home from a cozy weekend in front of a fire and lots of gluttonous food with my sister and friends. The radio was playing endless 80’s and 90’s songs as an homage to reunion weekend. I don’t know exactly where or how it entered my mind, but at the end of that drive home I was thinking about all these high school vampire stories and wondered… what if someone knew a vampire as a teenager… but like most teenagers… was too dense to know it? What if that didn’t become obvious until the high school reunion?

It was very much a self-centered speculation. In fact, I was trying to figure out exactly what it is about vampires that has been so attractive this year. Why was I drawn into these stories like so many others in the herd? What was it about my life that made sensual bloodsuckers so appealing a distraction? Was there anything in my life represented in these stories about teenagers or blonde telepaths? I have no desire to be a vampire. Wouldn’t it be really complicated to date one?

I started writing that week. The story bled from my fingers with unexpected ease. I wrote and wrote until a first draft was completed some time in January. I didn’t know where to go from there. So I went back to reading the series and liked the second book better. Liked my own writing less. I felt the fuel to my fire and went back to a second draft, which became a novel and not just some thrown together scenes. Almost immediately, I went back to the third round because as satisfied as I was at that point, I wasn’t going to let anyone read what I wrote. That was completed in June, when I started telling people that’s what I’d done. That’s why I disappeared to an anti-social cocoon for half a year. That is where all my creative energy went.

One more draft and I started to get serious about publication inquiries. Then I realized my random thoughts on the way home from Thanksgiving brought me to two books, not one. There are some necessary cuts – but I think too much would sacrifice the layers of my interpretation.

I’m still fine tuning. I’m still separating the books. But… if by some chance you are a reader of this… and not a reader of my fiction, here’s a taste: http://everfixed.blogspot.com/2009/08/first-ten-pages.html

If you like, I’ll give you more…

Comments

ActionBobMarkle said…
i'm reading, i'm reading...
Stephanie said…
It's truly fascinating to me (now that I've written) to see where other's writings come from. Thanks for sharing this!

Popular Posts