polite politics or politics polite
I always think it a curious thing that the English language
has a word polite so similar to the word politics. Looking both up in the dictionary, one can
find that polite means “showing regard for others in manners, speech, behavior,
etc.; not rude.” The word politics is
defined as “the total complex of relations between people
living in society.” All the other
definitions for politics are related to government - but government, one could
argue, is a complex relation between people living in society. And by that definition, we have decided as a
society that discussing politics is not polite.
I beg to differ.
Of course, I probably lost a few readers
immediately by invoking that ‘p’ word.
It is an immediate turnoff for a lot of people I know. A point where a conversation immediately
shuts down, people tune out and stop having an interest in what is said.
I suspect we’ve all been burned by that
flame to know we don’t want to go near it.
Whether it was a hot-headed debate that had no solution beyond raised
blood pressure… or the discomfort of sitting between two opposing and continuously
escalating voices - when the moment would be much more valuable if passed in a
quieter, more peaceful fashion.
I understand that. But I still beg to differ.
Right now we are two months and a day away
from the supposed culmination of this year’s noise. Which means, of course, the noise is only
going to escalate and get more insane and screechy and petty and
ridiculous. And more people are going to
tune out. Indeed, they take the tuning
out a step further and lambast the noise.
Because how better to show one’s dissatisfaction with noise than to make
some noise complaining about it?
I try not to get irritated or lose
patience with people for side-stepping politics. I get it.
I really understand that desire to avoid conflict. I do it myself. Even when I’m at my own dinner table, where I
have a rule that any subject is allowed.
If I think it’s going to make one person sitting in a chair less likely
to come back to my dinner table, well… I feel a little sad that I’m not being a
good hostess. But also sad that I’m not
a skilled enough mediator to make it a good conversation.
That’s something I lament. That there aren’t conversations about
politics. We don’t
talk with one another. Because that requires listening, processing,
and returning a marinated thought. It
doesn’t require agreement. A major rule
of debate is listening to what the previous person said and including that in
the next argument. How can we listen and
process and shape our own arguments if we decide that discussing politics isn’t…
polite?
So we put it in a special corner, only to
take out when we feel safe. Safely
surrounded by sympathetic thinkers or people we know love us enough to not be
threatened by an honest expression of opinion.
We avoid the conversation. We
avoid working through our differences. We
avoid making ourselves uncomfortable and having to question what makes it so. And yet it only seems to make the topic so
much more uncomfortable by avoiding it.
Is that better? Does that actually show a regard for others
through behavior and speech? Just
avoiding a subject? Avoiding having to respect
someone’s different opinion? Denying
someone an opportunity to rationalize what they think? Is that behavior one that prevents one from
being rude? And just because I avoid
being rude, does that make me a better person?
Am I a better person if I don’t talk about those things, but still shop at
Walmart or buy fast food to demonstrate my love of freedom? Am I really more polite if I just go along
and let those things be?
There is a time for grace. Indeed, I would prefer that as my de facto
attitude. But I think grace comes more
from listening, learning, and accepting that I am not always right instead of
just pretending those uncomfortable challenging moments are hiding under the
table when the conversation moves onto the more light-hearted topic of, say, the
Red Sox.
Comments