You Say You Want a Revolution?

I’ve not been writing as much of late, kind of retreating to a state of mulling. I’m aware that ideas are easy to put into words, but difficult to put into action. I write a lot here about how I think the world should be, about what I would like to see happen… how one should get off her duff and DO something. But… well, let’s be honest, I sit on my duff a lot of the time.

But I’ve subtracted a few hours from that total. I started running with some more regularity. Complimenting it with other exercise practices… and thus motivating myself in small increments towards a change I have often lamented the lack of in my physical being. It’s a daily battle, a struggle of will to divorce myself from my all too tempting pillow, resisting that delicious idea of French Fries or chocolate… but right now, I’m in a good groove… and ever so slightly, it is starting to yield some progress.

I’m not articulating this little anecdote to toot a horn. It is still far too preemptive for that. I have a long way to go… but it does emphasize the reality that change can happen… even if it is slow, frustratingly and painfully slow. But what it takes is getting started and not giving in to the notion of futility… the resignation to doing nothing and just continuing on one’s ass. And thus becoming an ass.

But, well, it’s a personal choice. I have been struggling with my physicality since I was a child. And it took three decades for something to finally click that there is no magic cure, no easy way out, no permanent solution. It requires making a decision every day… and some days I decide the wrong thing… but I can’t let that be an excuse to resume my bad habits.

Even so, I have purged myself of things that I never thought I could live without. Peanut butter. People who have seen my cupboard in the past will know what I’m talking about. I still love peanut butter… but I might buy a jar once a month now. Mochas at Starbucks. Okay, it’s still a crackhouse, but I’ve amended my habit. Sleep at 5:30 in the morning… although one might argue I am sleeping on my feet as I walk up that first hill and start running the first half mile. But by the end… the sacrifice is totally worth it.

But, like I said, this isn’t a self congratulation. I’m just illustrating my baby steps. For me. Maybe… maybe for you. Because, it’s time… it is beyond time… to start taking baby steps to another difficult journey. Something even more impossible than Jiff peanut butter. I’m talking about oil.

I go on Facebook and know I’m not the only person who looks at pictures of the Gulf of Mexico and gets upset. Angry upset or depressed upset. There’s a LOT, a ridiculous amount of finger pointing and arguing that nothing is being done. Being done the right way. Because, let’s face it, the oil is still spilling. And we’re still pointing fingers. And we’re still saying it’s his fault or his fault… and in some cases our own fault. BUT WHAT ARE WE DOING? 

Well, here it is. I’m going on an oil diet. I can’t give it up cold turkey. Being Thoreau is simply not an option. But I can start trimming the fat. RIGHT NOW.

Is it going to be easy? HELL NO. Is it going to be cheap? ABSOLUTELY NOT. Am I going to fail? Sure. But I eat chocolate and then get up the next morning and run… so, well… I’m not throwing my arms up in the air. I’m going to do this.

How? Well, to be completely lame… or maybe inspired… I’m going to start a Facebook group. I’m going to invite people to join and share ideas. Maybe you will join. Maybe you’ll laugh at me. But, I’m going oil light and want people to join me.

I already planned to write this blog, but read this quote from Bono an hour ago. I think it’s a good way to end… and maybe we can steal the momentum of his triumph. “…things are quick to change for the worse and slow to change for the better, but they can.”

Let’s prove that true.

Comments

Popular Posts