Pooh Pooh to Apathy
I made a very conscious decision to walk away from theater politics last year. I took things WAY too personally and got my heart broken. In the evaluation of my contribution to that, I recognized that the issues and the debate… in the whole grand scheme of things… weren’t worth the expense of my emotions.
In the few attempts I made to discuss this with friends, I was told several times that I just shouldn’t get so involved. That theater isn’t the problem. It’s the politics. If I just participate and don’t care about the rest of the stuff, I’ll be better off. Well, maybe that’s true. I suppose… if I could think that way. But I don’t know how to not care about things like politics.
Fueled by the subject of my last blog, I asked someone if he was going to vote. Very casually, he threw up his shoulders and said no, he hasn’t been paying attention. And then clearly didn’t want to discuss it any further, in spite of my blatant declaration of shame. But he’s not the only one. I know quite a few people who just don’t give a damn and think this whole election crap is annoying.
Yeah, it is annoying. I’m annoyed. Annoyed enough that it fueled my brain to write another blog.
Politics are ugly. There is no way around that. Politicians lie. They all do. Democrats and Republicans. But, um, last I checked, they were people. And here’s a fact, ALL people lie. Don’t tell me you don’t. You know you do. Maybe on a lesser, whiter scale. But no one is completely honest all the time. Especially when we want to get something we want or think we need. Maybe that is the lie we tell ourselves. That we don’t lie.
Politicians disappoint us. Some – hell – most of them – are corrupt. Some to a greater and some to a lesser degree. I think in some ways they have to be. And I can’t really understand how they can work in Washington and not be. But here’s the thing. I think some are tainted with all that muck and still have a vision. They make mistakes. They do things we don’t like. But they went there for a reason. Not just power. A real desire to have the power to make things happen. Yes, there are some vile, EVIL sods who should never have been given the reins of power (Dick Cheney), but there are some who really give a shit and want to do something.
So don’t throw the baby out with the bathwater and not vote.
There was a movement started in THIS state by people who didn’t want taxation without representation. In spite of what the teabaggers (sorry, still have to giggle at that) say, that wasn’t just about taxes. It was about not having a voice in government. That idea meant so much to them, they sacrificed EVERYTHING to get it. They went to war. They left their farms (and livelihood). They died. Having a vote meant that much to them. Women picketed in the street. They went on hunger strikes and were force fed because they protested the fact they didn’t have a say in their government. People of color were hanged and chased down dark streets and shot because they wanted this power for themselves. They didn’t let the fear of that consequence keep them at home. Why the hell are you?
Of course, I doubt the apathetic are reading this blog. They avoid all things political and don’t want to get into it. I understand the desire to avoid getting offended and not wishing to offend the opposing side. But… isn’t it a greater dishonor and offense to the dead? Isn’t it pathetic that we take it for granted?
Sure the present is different. We are much more evolved. Maybe. But the thing is… when you don’t vote and pay attention to politics, the government gets away with things. Like de-regulating the banks. Creating stories about weapons of mass destruction. Deciding a levee doesn’t require immediate repair. And then it breaks. And people die. And we get angry. But not enough.

Comments