My Gratitude Top Ten
Posting a note about lists is kind of a churlish form of exhibitionism. But, you know what? This is the sort of thing I should be sharing with the world, near and dear. All too often it is easier to rack up the lists of grievances and peeves. Today is about expanding one’s stomach… but the name, the core of a day is that it is a day to stop, breathe, and remember that there are good things around us each and every day.
So, to share with the online world, before I head off to run so I can justify some feasting, here are 10 things for which I am grateful.
1.My breath. It is such a simple, elemental fact. One that we remember with stuffed up noses and illness. But it is such a fantastic, wonderful part of our machinery. It gives me smell, which brings the foreboding of rain, the resonance of childhood memory, and can prompt the growl of my stomach. Pretty flipping amazing!
2.My family. I got real lucky with the Brennans. Everyone thinks there is an oddity to their family when looking at the other green grass. But, I love it all – the volume, the inappropriate conversation, the food, the creation of a holiday and excuse to gather together… and the willingness to step in and help out. No matter what.
2.My family. I got real lucky with the Brennans. Everyone thinks there is an oddity to their family when looking at the other green grass. But, I love it all – the volume, the inappropriate conversation, the food, the creation of a holiday and excuse to gather together… and the willingness to step in and help out. No matter what.
3.Okay. Maybe this goes with number 2. But my grandmother. Sometimes I scoff at that denomination of The Greatest Generation… but spend an hour – no, five minutes – with her, and I think it’s pretty accurate. She has a sense of humor and stories… man, does she have stories. Never mind love. Love, love, love. Of her seven children. Their spouses. Thirteen grandchildren. And seven great-grandchildren. Not to mention all the nieces, nephews, cousins, and friends who become family even if just for a day. She rocks my world.
4.My job. Obviously, these days having a job is something we don’t take for granted. But I had a few years there when I was working in hellacious situations. Jobs that made me hate Fridays because it meant that Monday was only two days away. Jobs that made me so miserable to get up in the morning. Now I work for Freelance/Urban Improv. It’s not just a paycheck. It’s a mission. To use theater (a passion I’ve had all my life) to help people. Oh – and the people that work for the organization are pretty freakin astounding. They appreciate every little thing I do. And they are fun to have dinner with every Wednesday.
5.Friends. I’ve isolated myself quite a bit in the past year. But I have a good group of chums who won’t let me disappear into that black hole. Who make me laugh. Who make me cry. Who will follow me on a lark to some crazy concert or random trip across the state. Who read my book. Who live far away, but are there when I need them. Who inspire me to be a better soul.
6.My apartment. I have a warm place to sleep at night. Plus, I have a big Brady Bunch kitchen in which I can work all my culinary experiments. My landlady is pretty cool and doesn’t ever want to let us leave… and is letting me get a puppy.
7.Writing. I’ve always written. It's how I see the world, in a lot of ways. I just went through a couple phases when I either got distracted and neglected it. Or I just didn’t believe in it enough to tell people it is what I want myself to be. But I found it again. A year ago this week. When I started writing a novel. I am grateful for each and every person who took the time to read it, offer feedback, and wish me well on the journey to get it to a larger readership. Keep your fingers crosses, peeps. This year, I’m thrusting the gauntlet down and going for it.
8.My sister. We have a lot of differences – mainly in our religion. But she is my confidant. She is my support. She is my friend. She is my biggest fan. I love her. I would be lost without her.
9.My country. I am outspoken in my leftist leanings. I know that is not the way the whole country thinks. But the fact I can live in a country where we can disagree and one side isn’t hauled off to a firing range is what makes it great. I think there is infinite room for improvement, but we are a country that has grown (even if reluctantly) and improved over our brief centuries. And we don’t stone people to death for having an extramarital affair. So I think that we are pretty damn lucky.
10.Hope. Because… no matter what, no matter how bad it gets, no matter how much it sucks… there is always a tomorrow with no mistakes in it. Doesn’t mean there won’t be a mistake. But there is a chance to make the choice for tomorrow to be better. And maybe, eventually, there will be enough choices to reverse the shit.
This list is not in any particular order. And I could pick another half dozen things. But… I have to go for that run and cook my rutabagas. Happy Thanksgiving all!!!!!!

Comments