Diary of a Staycation: Day 2
It’s cold today.
Really cold. So I confess my
level of productivity was diminished from intention quite a bit – mostly by the
desire to keep close to the warmth of the fire I’ve built in the wood
stove. Indeed, my view for a more
significant part of the day has been this.
.
While it was building and gaining momentum I did
sit at the table and write another six pages.
Another
scene in 1773 and another one in 1904. I
don’t know if it is good to be so scattered with my focus. I am trying to cram a lot into the 18th
century novel, but mostly the speculation that the rebels of Massachusetts
weren’t much concerned with the rights of women or men of color when they
started dumping tea and refuting taxes.
I had a thought when I returned to this manuscript to introduce a new
character – an outsider visiting from London… which in spite of all I’ve been
taught about the tyranny of the Mother Country, was a little more progressive
than the Commonwealth. Slavery was
outlawed on English soil (obviously not in the rest of the empire) in
1772. It was where Mary Wollstonecraft was growing into an educated woman, empowering herself with the experience and
knowledge to vindicate the rights of women at the end of the century. A freedom, certainly, that came with the
luxury of wealth… and so my new character has that. But I don’t want her to be distracting… more
a catalyst to the underlying worry of my heroine. Anyway, I like this character and the inner
monologue she inspired me to give the main character.
My second scene grabbed the main theme of the novel set in
the early 20th century. I am fascinated
by the Irish and Catholic culture of the city where my Irish American ancestors were
born, married, and went to church. It
was a safe haven that preserved their ethnicity – and probably gave legitimacy
to the fear of papists. But in the
modern retrospect of the hypocrisy of priests and church leaders who demanded
purity and innocence while committing abuses behind closed doors. This is an uplifting book, can’t you
tell?
So another 1500 words contemplating those ideas, mostly
through dialogue.
Not a lot of other noteworthy activity. I fell down a rabbit hole searching for
recipes to inspire my contemplation of the 18th century. Nothing inspired me to cook today, even the idea of
warming the kitchen with the oven on. But
I did find a few dishes that inspired me to host an 18th century
dinner at some point this spring. Would
Patriots Day weekend be too cliché?
I decided to bring up the working turntable (there are two
others that aren’t working) from the cellar.
I have rediscovered a few albums of my own as we do the great house
purge and it would be nice to give those a listen in the coming months – to help
me determine if I really need to keep them or give them away.
Amongst the records, I found the label of a mix tape – though
not the mix tape itself, which is probably in another box in a closet
somewhere. I find it amusing,
nevertheless, to see what I found worthy enough to record from the radio in
1984. Also amusing is the fact there is
actually white out on this label, where I rewrote or re-recorded a song.
I shall end this day as it began. Keeping warm in front of the fire. But I’ve decided to throw one of my last
pieces of turf on the fire – so I can pretend it is a raw damp cold of my
favorite island and not the bone chilling Artic freeze of a freakish January
day in Massachusetts (it will jump up forty degrees by mid week). A wee dram of whiskey goes well with the
peaty smell.
Slainte.


Comments