Day Thirteen and Fourteen: Belfast
I have delayed this entry about my trip. I guess I might be willing to say it was one
of the favorites. I really enjoyed my
week in Connemara. Partly because it
was so god damned beautiful. Partly
because I was with a group of friends who were willing to take each day with a
zealous attitude of living the moment.
Partly because it was a place where I could see myself living… for a
while at least.
But Belfast… made my head spin. And I was only there for a day and a half.
Day Thirteen: Belfast Part One
I left Ballycastle after breakfast. I indulged in a few pieces of the typical
Ulster fry – eggs, a tomato, a black pudding… maybe bacon (which if you don’t
understand the British Isles is more like a thinly sliced fried piece of ham
than our American bacon). I was without
a car and took a taxi to Ballymena (there are so many towns and neighborhoods
that start with “Bally”). I had another
conversation about the weather. Normally
I hate such topics… but discussing the difference of seasons and way of life
is actually fascinating. Ballycastle
gets some snow on a rare occasion (think Florida) and shuts down if the roads
freeze. And yet they were extremely
apologetic about the summer being so cold.
I wonder if they realize the varied climates of our country. Obviously some do… but one taxi driver (and I
confess as I write this I can’t remember which commute) asked if it was summer
or winter where I lived. I don’t render
that ignorance. I rendered that a, oh
yeah, not everyone knows the details of the USA daily life.
Anyway… I got a ticket and on the train pretty quickly. It was rather like the commuter rail and
already rather crowded when I got on with my suitcase and backpack and
bag. I had to stand near the door and
felt badly for taking up all that space with my baggage. I suppose that was a good thing that it was
so full at 10 o’clock on a Thursday morning.
People wanted to get into the big city of Northern Ireland.
Then the train stopped.
It didn’t seem too much out of the ordinary having commuted on subways
in Boston and London. Shit happens. I wasn’t in too huge a rush, as I had a
checkin time that was later than the arrival time of my ticket anyway. But then we were on the last stop before the
city proper and the train stalled again.
Then an announcement came on apologizing for an operational delay. People muttered, but were relatively chill –
except for two little girls. But they
were two little girls, so obviously. I
don’t know exactly how much time before a conductor came into our car and
announced that the delay was due to the fact there was a person on the
tracks. They weren’t going to let anyone
off at that point. People were still
calm – even as there was the observation of police rushing onto the
tracks. We waited some more until the
conductor came back and opened up the doors at the back of the car. The train was being evacuated. I still don’t know what happened. I searched the news later in the day. I saw an ambulance when we got to the car
park. Maybe it was a suicide. Maybe it was something more. But people were so… surprisingly unalarmed.
We were given a free pass on the bus. I had no idea really where to get off. I got
on the bus and got off on the first stop, which was a major downtown spot,
where I figured I could track down another taxi. I still had time to burn. I stopped for a cup of tea and a chance to
check the internet. The café was a bit
crowded. It was the lunch hour, so I
felt weird hogging a whole table with my luggage. I finished my tea and picked up my luggage to
search for a place where taxis lived. It
wasn’t that obvious, so I stopped for another cup of tea where I could sit
outside and look at the architecture and watch the cars drive by and the people
walk down the sidewalk. I sat across the
street from an abandoned Bank of Ireland building – a sign of the times or a
sign of politics, I don’t know. A few
buildings away was a library. The detail
of the buildings was exquisite, even if forlorn. I didn’t mind spending some more minutes
savoring the tea before the time was right to head to the b&b and the café
called me a cab.
This driver I remember.
He took me on a slight detour to point out some spectacular buildings
and made sure to tell me what streets he knew were safe to walk. He encouraged a visit to the Ulster Museum
(which was already on my itinerary, but I appreciated his endorsement). The bed and breakfast was in the nicer(est)
part of the city. Less than a mile from
the Museum and Queens University. I
already knew from my booking research that it was once a men’s club, now
converted to a ‘boutique’ tea house and bed and breakfast. I was totally swayed by the bright lighting
of their photos. I anticipated some of a
letdown when confronted with reality, but the room was comfortable and
bright. The only downside to it (if even
that) was the fact I returned to the city and its sounds. I didn’t mind the rattle of a train
nearby. I rather relished it. I didn’t care so much that it was above the
kitchen exit, where some staff member would hang out for a cigarette
break. But whatever. I wasn’t in Belfast to hang out in my room
all the time.
So even with a morning of travel behind me, I decided to
make something productive of my afternoon.
I figured out the Museum was less than a mile from my location, so it
was a worthy walk and opportunity to see the neighborhood. The main street along which I walked had that
collegiate town feel. A lot of diverse
restaurants and book shops and funky businesses that one would be more likely
to find in a university town. I turned
off the main drag and found a street of terraced houses, most of which were to
let as of September. Definitely college
territory.
I found my way to the gates of the Botanic Garden. I remembered a reference to the garden from
the play I did in 2013 about Northern Ireland.
It was something to see the sign in golden letters against cast iron.
But I didn’t linger too long about it, as I wanted to get inside the Museum
before it closed.
Today (and before today) my life is about tracking numbers
in a museum. I marvel at the fact that a
number of the museums I visited were free and didn’t even require a
ticket. How on earth do you measure the
number of visitors? More than that, what
about security? I mean… I was in
Belfast.
I was in Belfast to debunk that prejudice of a city that was
in not so distant memory a war zone.
The Ulster Museum has a floor devoted to art, a floor
devoted to natural history, and a floor devoted to history. I only had an hour (and a half – but time has
to be left for the shop). I went
straight to the history floor.
On my way off the landing, I walked passed a giant Celtic
cross. It brought me to the exhibit on
the 19th century. If I went
up a level, I could go back to the 18th and 17th, but I
was mostly interested in the 20th.
I did a quick reading of the 19th century, which talked about
the linen industry (must get Mom some linen) and the fact it employed so many
women. The 20th century had
some detail about WWI, a popular topic in Europe. And then, of course, the Easter
Rebellion. There was a giant copy of the
Irish declaration of independence. It
was interesting stuff… but not where my mind was at.
I wrote about this the day after. The exhibit on the Troubles was so
moving. It was pretty stark. There were some media images. But it was mostly narrative of major events
from the 60’s through 2007. 2007. Think about that. I thought theater drama was a political
battle then. Um… yeah.
There were things I had heard or read about in periphery –
from Ourselves Alone or a U2 song. I
read it in silence and with an eerie resonance of what has been happening in
Baltimore or Ferguson or in schools and movie theaters and churches across the
US. Some of it made sense. It came from a civil rights movement and a
strong desire to empower the poor. Some
of it was just crazy. People who took
the battle and used it as an excuse to commit violence. Massive violence. Terrorism.
And yet… as I walked through it, I got it. I saw both sides. I understood the nonsense. I didn’t
understand it why it got to that point. It made me sad. It moved me.
It filled me with awe. For those
who made peace happen. For those who
lived through it just because what other choice did they have? For those I passed on the street with the
shadow of that still so present in their lives.
And I know I only scratched the surface of
understanding. The exhibit was a
summary. An attempt to be unbiased. I’m certain in that narrative a lot was
edited out. Perspective is pretty
neutral but it remains heartbreaking.
Indeed, they had a walled off area with private desks for people to
offer feedback… and memories.
I did head to the shop.
I picked a book that the cashier said was the best to get a good
understanding of what happened. I also
got a book about a magic salmon for my nieces (don’t tell them because they
haven’t gotten it yet).
I left not too soon before the museum closed, but there was
still enough daylight to justify prolonging my return to the hotel. I walked into the botanic garden, which was
full of people. I imagine quite a few
were just passing through as a shortcut.
But I also saw a number of cameras out taking photos of the brilliant
patches of blooms. I had already visited
a couple gardens … and I have to say this was the best. The most impressive part of that was the fact
there was no admission price.
There is a palm house.
I remember going to the Kew Gardens in London many years ago and loving the
white iron structure of the buildings there.
This was similar in design (maybe even the same designer?). A little smaller than Kew, but still pretty
impressive with its giant tropical and funky plants. One of the wings urged not to eat the
decorative peppers. The other wing had
some rather phallic, albeit beautiful pink blossoms. It was very much a sauna, so I appreciated
that cool Irish air all the more when I stepped outside.
I continued around the main path and found my way into the
rose garden. So many varieties and
colors. Some of the petals had fallen,
but not in a way that deprived them of their beauty. There was a pagan throne of some sort at the
edge of the garden. I remember seeing a
used condom on the grass there. I can’t
say that surprised me all that much. A
park in the city. Near a college. Really.
Not shocking.
The walk through the garden wearied my feet after a long
day. I imagine the emotional drain of
the exhibit weighed on me as well. I
summoned my remaining energy to head back to the b&b. In typical fashion for the trip, I got turned
around a bit. But as I walked down a
hill looking at all the terraced houses, I could see the green hills of Ireland
in the not so distant beyond. It was a
striking and yet perfectly normal juxtaposition.
I welcomed the collapse onto my Victorian-esque bed and the indulgence
of the shortbread cookies left with the tea and water in my room. Best bed and breakfast ever.
Day Fourteen: Belfast Part Two
I made the decision to take a bus tour. If you haven’t figured this out from my posts
already, I don’t like being amongst tourists.
I also don’t like summary glances of places. Only… I had just this one day. Also, I wanted to see the Peace Wall and the
murals and Falls Road. And yes, I am an
American. I was scared to go do that on
my own.
I had to take a bus into the city proper. I called and found out I could get tickets
and on the bus at the Opera House. I
waited for the bus and then felt like an idiot when it pulled up and I
remembered I was on the wrong side of the road.
So rather than show how dumb I was, I just walked an extra block to the
next bus stop where I could cross the street.
That was at the police station. I passed the police station on my way to and
from the museum the night before. I’ve
driven Rte.2 through Concord many times.
The prison there was a benchmark on the journeys to college my first
very homesick year at college. The walls
and gate around the police station reminded me more of that complex than the
little office at the top of my street. Our
local police has the excess of a Hummer.
But I could stop in any day and not have to pass a high wall with barbed
wire. It was one of those invisible and
yet right there in front of me things that said, well… yes, war is over. But not quite.
The tour bus was a hop on hop off deal. And apparently when you hop on at the opera
house, you have already missed two thirds of the tour. Fortunately, the remaining third was the part
of Belfast I wanted to see.
It was fun. The tour
guide had the prerequisite Irish gift of the gab and cheeky sense of
humor. He also had a not so subtle
political streak, as he pointed out the ugliest building in Belfast (the
hospital) and wasn’t hesitant about making remarks about Prince Charles and his
wife. Then we were on the street known
as the golden mile. There is a pub there
that is known for the significant amount of Guinness they pour each day. This tour guide explained that this stretch
of road was where locals would go to drink when the heart of Belfast was shut
down each evening during the Troubles. Can
you imagine that? Maybe. I know a lot of people who are scared of the
city. Because. City.
But even so, to have that fear validated by gates locking you out when
you leave work.
Not all the gates are gone.
After we left the pub infested street, the bus drove through
the part of the city I knew (Queens University) and had to make a remark about
the restaurant in the neighborhood that exploited the popular ship built there
and called itself Thai Tanic. I didn’t take a picture because my eyes were too
busy rolling.
This guide also wanted to make sure we knew the property
values of the house in this part of the city.
I don’t think he was a huge fan of Queens faculty. Or the division of classes.
Then we came to Falls Road.
The guide pointed out all the Union Jacks flying high. I had already noticed them when I first drove
into Northern Ireland. Apparently there
was a holiday in July that celebrated the victory of William of Orange over the
Catholics. So the British flag was a display
of jingoism. Or two fingers making a
V. Depending on how you look at it.
Then we turned a corner and the Union Jacks were gone.
This part of the city is very clearly divided. You can see it in the shops. The flags.
And the murals on the buildings.
There are amazing murals throughout the neighborhood. Celebrating heroes (or criminals). Honoring the dead. The dead are not forgotten. Both sides have dead. Both sides grieve. It’s an amazing observation of their
commonality and division all at once.
Someday I need to go back and walk these streets to get an
unobstructed view. And talk to those who
remember.
Then the bus turned onto another road with more murals. The art.
The political statements. David
Cameron is clearly not a hero there. But
Martin Luther King, Jr. and Nelson Mandela are.
Peace is a desire. Remembering is
mandatory.
And then… there was the wall. Tall.
Green. Barbed wire. Gates that still lock every night and through
the weekend. Every night. Every weekend. The guide said to us, if you aren’t from here
it probably doesn’t make sense to you.
To anyone who has lived there or was born since the 60’s/70s (my
generation), that’s just how it has always been. Always been.
A gate to separate you from your neighbor. I think my neighbor is an idiot for having a
Confederate flag. But a gate to keep him
from stepping into my circle? And yet…
how far away are we from that? Maybe we
don’t have physical gates, but don’t we barricade ourselves with the
information we get through cable news and social media? Segregating ourselves from opposite points of
view.
Right. So the tour
then went on to the Crumlin Road Jail, now a major tourist attraction. I am curious to go there. Not enough to get off the bus. I am curious… but I also think it’s weird to
go to prison ‘for fun.’ I guess that’s
not any weirder than going to a war museum.
Across the street was the Crumlin Road Courthouse. It is abandoned (though supposedly purchased
or funded or whatever) to become some sort of art or learning center. There was something poetic about the broken
windows and greenery growing on the roof.
How much injustice (justice) was served there?
The bus tour ended shortly after that. But like I said, I missed the first
half. I decided to caffeine up and get
back on again an hour later. To catch up…
and as it turns out, get a completely different take on the city. I got the sense the first guide was more of a
republican/nationalist while the second was somewhat more sympathetic to the
loyalists. She didn’t talk about how the
Golden Mile was a place to escape the locked city gates or make a snide comment
about the incomes of the university faculty.
I appreciated the contrast, though, as we went back down
Falls Road and passed the Peace Wall.
Before that, the bus went down towards the old ship building yard. There are giant cranes in the water. They are pretty difficult to miss. But that’s not the reason the bus goes
there. It’s because that was where the
Titanic was built. Yeah, the Titanic is
a pretty massive deal in Belfast. I can’t
say that it interested me tons. Maybe
next time. The ship has fascinated me
since I was ten and they found it on the bottom of the ocean floor (not just
because of the movie). But… that was 100
years ago… and its major history is on the bottom of the ocean floor.
There is a film studio on those docks. That’s where they film a lot of interiors for
Game of Thrones. That’s another thing
that might have intrigued me in another time.
I was more interested in politics.
The bus does bring you to Parliament. It’s up on a hill. The bus goes through a security pass where
someone comes on to check out for suspicious persons. I was too late in the day to get a tour,
which is ideal to do in the summer when they aren’t in session. The grounds are impressive though. Very removed from the city and removed from the
people in it. I wonder about that.
When I got off the bus, I decided to do some gift
shopping. I put off buying a couple
gifts when I was in Connemara but wish I hadn’t. The Irishness of Belfast is cheesy tourist
stuff, not the real deal. But I was able
to find some authentic linen for my mom.
I got back to the b&b ready to collapse and ready myself
for the next day’s journey. My head was so
full of observation that I am still digesting.
About the city in the past. In
the present. About where I live. About our country and the ways we are the
same. Or not the same. What I don’t see. And can’t know.
My room was near to the stairs and the manager’s desk on the
first (technically second because they use British language where the first is
ground) floor. I made some initially pleasant
conversation with the manager on duty, telling her about the bus. I think she made the apology about the
weather. Asked where I was from. I can’t remember the segues, but we got into
politics. Wow. Wow.
Talk about perspective. She was
roughly my age, which means she grew up in that city – was born into that city –
in the middle of all that shit. She was
(her own words) cynical about government.
She knew, though, that we had some weird politics. (That Republican
debate I didn’t want to acknowledge was the night before.) Her daughter studied American politics at
university, but was going into the arts.
From that she knew that we just improved our healthcare. I said something about yes, but people want
to undo that because they don’t like our president. She looked at me like I had three heads. We talked about patronage in government. We talked about how divisiveness escalates as
a mask to the real problems of class. That
it really is about the rich being too rich and the poor not having a chance (I’m
paraphrasing), but holy wow. It was
better than the bus tour or the museum.
If I wasn’t dying of thirst and fatigued feet, I could have talked with
her all night.
That is the best thing about going to another country. Seeing your own country through the eyes of
someone who doesn’t live there.
Especially someone who has lived in Belfast through the Troubles.
That is a perspective I find myself clinging to as I settle
back into the annoying daily grind of sitting at a computer in a city that has
some serious issues, but not war zone serious.
When I see emails about stupid theater drama bs. When I see Facebook posts complaining about
the Donald or a phony football scandal or using any language that divides and
diminishes opposite beliefs.
Because the thing I loved about Belfast, that I enjoyed
about that manager and the staff that worked with her, the taxi drivers, the Starbucks
barista, the tour guides… they were all so kind. Maybe this is just me projecting my own
conclusions on them. But the kindness
had an authenticity – a real desire for the outcome of good – that I haven’t
seen any place else. Because they knew
the severity of the alternative.
Even if that is my imagination, I want to remember it. The value of seeking the commonality. The strength of getting beyond conflict. The beauty of a rebirth.
I want to go back.
Comments