in 378 days I will be 40
In just under two weeks, I will turn 39.
So that means in 378 days I will be 40.
I’ve felt for most of my life… and thus most birthdays, that age is relative. Maturity even more so. But I do like to use the anniversary of my entrance into the world as an opportunity for reflection, a pause to see where I’ve been, to see if I know where I’m going, and take stock of this thing called life. Then those thoughts ebb back into the tide of daily life and another year creeps by with obvious change or with the slow unseen wearing away of time.
I suppose I’m not the first person to feel the weight of the number 4 being added to my age. I’m certainly not going to be the first person who takes to a blog to contemplate the last year of her 30’s and use it as some accountability towards a determination for obvious change… so the reflection at the entrance gate into the next decade isn’t a drowning in tears and a bottle of wine.
I have a list. Of course I have a list. A list of things to do before 40. I will tell you about most. Some I have to keep to myself.
I have an end point. London.
And there are a lot of points before that. Some are on the list. Some are mundane. Some might not even make it to publish. But my intention is to capture at least one a day for the next 377 days.
Here.
I’ve felt for most of my life… and thus most birthdays, that age is relative. Maturity even more so. But I do like to use the anniversary of my entrance into the world as an opportunity for reflection, a pause to see where I’ve been, to see if I know where I’m going, and take stock of this thing called life. Then those thoughts ebb back into the tide of daily life and another year creeps by with obvious change or with the slow unseen wearing away of time.
I suppose I’m not the first person to feel the weight of the number 4 being added to my age. I’m certainly not going to be the first person who takes to a blog to contemplate the last year of her 30’s and use it as some accountability towards a determination for obvious change… so the reflection at the entrance gate into the next decade isn’t a drowning in tears and a bottle of wine.
I have a list. Of course I have a list. A list of things to do before 40. I will tell you about most. Some I have to keep to myself.
I have an end point. London.
And there are a lot of points before that. Some are on the list. Some are mundane. Some might not even make it to publish. But my intention is to capture at least one a day for the next 377 days.
Here.
I
thought about starting a brand new blog on another platform... but fact
is, this has five plus years of my writing. My history. The paving
stones for the road that got me to this point. But more so than any
part of my history of writing, I will commit to writing every day.
Something of those points and lists and moments that will put me in the
here (funny, I made the typo 'hear') and now and not just
dread/anticipate/fear/get excited for/forget/lose sight of/miss the
opportunity
of the day I turn 40.

Comments