Stop what's that sound? or hey, it's Ash Wednesday this week, so this is what I've decided to do
I suppose if I did a quick search through this blog, I would
probably find another entry about Lent.
It’s kind of a mini New Year’s resolution. A chance to renew faith in one’s attempt at
self-discipline after the January determination runs out. Plus, it has the added bonus of only being
six weeks… and if you are of that school of thought… you can take Sundays off.
It is a practice in which I indulge every random few
years. When I need a reason to teetotal
or cut back sugar. And certainly, I have
in mind to try one of those or a close cousin when the countdown to Easter
begins this week. But… as I have tried
to sort out how to fashion into a blog my thoughts of recent days, I think I
found a better one.
A few weeks ago I found out that someone with whom I spend a
large part of my daily life has a very different opinion than me on a few
(albeit significant) matters. It really
shook me. Not because I (as I might have
expected it to) I was disappointed that this person saw the world in a way that
justifies having these opinions… but because it really didn’t change the
qualities that I found very good and admirable… and that it is possible to
think a different way and still be a decent person. Ultimately, the discovery wasn’t about the
other person, it was about me and how I let myself be prejudiced.
Something about that minor epiphany has stayed with me since. I won’t say it has stopped me from thinking
negative thoughts about Republicans or advocates of issues I find inhumane, but
it inspires me to take a couple extra breaths and a time out before
reacting. And trying, I hope, to react
with civility.
But I’m human. I’m
always going to fail on that one.
Which gets me back to Lent.
I think the awareness of my own fallacy has sharpened my sensitivity to
the proliferation of it throughout society.
Well, maybe not all of society… but for the sake of keeping this blog
short, I will pick on Facebook. Because
that seems to be where I notice these things most.
We don’t see the whole person. We see a comment and jump to
conclusions. We piece together posted
information (indeed the fragments that a random scroll every other day down the
screen of a tiny rectangular device pop into view) and decide we know a person
and all his hurts, joys, wisdom, stupidity, and history. We draw hasty conclusions about what a person
means, about how facts are incorrect… from whatever quick edit a tap into that
handheld device allows… and render that a legitimate argument. In my wiser moments, I will stay away from
these situations on Facebook. Sometimes
I can’t resist. And sometimes I just put
the hornet’s nest on my own profile. And
I seemed to have done all of these in the last week – in spite of my recent
burst of self-awareness.
One of these exchanges (actually one that was rather
nice) reminded me of debates in high school.
Some point during yesterday’s wood stacking and frozen snow removal, I
found myself thinking about debate club – how very different the opinions are
that I defend now, as well as the rules.
A proper debate requires repeating back the opinion with which you
disagree before framing the argument.
Which… requires listening to the other person. Yes, strategically listening so as to frame
the opposing statement. But listening to
what the other person says, which requires a little bit of thinking on it.
As I thought about that, I realized that Facebook doesn’t
require listening. You just throw your
opinions out there without having to pay any mind to any other point of
view. If it is abstractly askew from the
actual point, so what? As long as you
get to state your own opinion, that’s all that matters. Thinking about and framing an intelligent
retort isn’t a practice frequently utilized.
Maybe I was still
stacking wood when this thought left the whole political/Facebook concept… and
made me realize the lack of listening actually extends into conversation. I try to be a good listener. But I know there are several times when I
just wait for someone to take a breath so I can expostulate whatever I’m
thinking about, or share my story about this subject. Even though I’ve probably told that same story
twenty-five times or so. Or it’s just
the same story with different characters (which I think is true of half the
conversations I have and try to slam the breaks on about theater politics).
At my December supper club, after dinner we sat in my living
room in front of the fire, with our second, third glasses of wine. I
asked a question that everyone had to answer.
I listened. It really was one of
my favorite supper club memories.
Because I forced myself to be present in that moment and in the words
that fell from my friends’ lips.
I want more of that.
I want to listen more. I figure
Lent is as good an opportunity as any to start.
Indeed, isn’t the whole concept of Lent because Jesus went out into the
desert for 40 days? And wasn’t the point
of that for him to reflect… and listen to God or whatever?
So whether it be a Facebook back and forth or… more
preferably, live human interaction around my dinner table, I intend to be more
present in my world and listen. I hope
the practice of six weeks will make it a habit of many more.
And towards that end, I’m curious. What are you going to do for Lent (be you
believer or just someone who needs the parameter of a six week challenge)? Tell me.
I’m listening.

Comments