A tale of two revolutions



I was thinking about writing this blog earlier and contemplated how it would have made a great paper for a history class… a thought provoking assignment from a teacher to speculate on our American history.  Maybe it would have… and it isn’t a criticism of my history education that it wasn’t assigned – I had a phenomenal high school history teacher.  But I was also a teenager… who was more interested in making up melodramatic romances from my history lessons than reflecting on social justice at the time.  And honestly, would I have come to the same conclusions in 1992 that I do in 2013?

Maybe.  I did write a paper on Malcolm X for that class.  For the which I read his autobiography… and through the serendipity of pop culture timing (which may or may not have influenced my curiosity) several articles surrounding the release of the Spike Lee film.  Reading that book and typing up the analysis of a man’s life cracked open some of my small town, very Catholic … narrow perspective of the world.  But it faded into the recesses of memory as soon as my teenage brain latched onto more important problems – like getting cast in the senior musical.

That paper was the only education I had in any of my public school years about the Civil Rights Movement.  And that was self-directed.  There were other options for that paper topic from other decades and other issues.   So… it wasn’t part of the overall curriculum.

But, hey, I get it.  We started with Andrew Jackson – and even without the birth story of our country, that was still a lot to get through in one school year.  I mean that Civil War stuff was pretty huge.  Of course, we did get the birth story many times before.  In elementary school.  In junior high.  In the American Government class which was a reformed version of civics… when we learned about the writing of the Constitution.  

Of course… even then… what I learned in school was pretty standard.  The stuff that would correspond to a field trip to Lexington/Concord (although I think my aunt Nicole was the one who brought me there, not my school) or the Freedom Trail.  You know, the standard stuff like the Boston Massacre, the Boston Tea Party, Paul Revere’s ride, Bunker Hill, crossing the Delaware, Prussian soldiers, John Adams, George Washington, Thomas Jefferson… a lot of white men in wigs.  Oh, well, there was Betsy Ross… and maybe, if you were lucky, Abigail Adams.

Maybe it is because I live in Massachusetts… or because I gave so many tours through the early American rooms at Beauport that those names and events are imprinted in my brain.  There are more… but last night as I watched a 1986 documentary about the Civil Rights movement… I wondered why I didn’t know (or remember) James Meredith, Ernest Green, Emmett Till, Melba Pattillo Beals, Medger Evers, James Chaney, Little Rock, Montgomery… well some I do know, but some I still had to look up even after just watching the documentary.  Honestly, how many do you know?

Why don’t we know these names as well as our oft misunderstood and deified forefathers and American War for Independence revolutionaries?  I know none of them have a beer named after them… but, man… wasn’t their fight for FREEDOM worth some lingering recognition?

Maybe I’m comparing apples and oranges when I want to contemplate the American Revolution with the Civil Rights movement.  Maybe the big bad (distracted because they had other fish to fry) British government was more big and bad than the ‘Southern heritage’ against which these citizens were fighting.  Maybe the willingness to take up a musket and form a militia is a nobler fight than boycotting and wanting to go to school or filling buses and braving the threat of burning crosses in order to register to vote.  

But… when I think of what motivated this country to begin...  That notion of freedom.  The idea of basic, civil rights to be educated, to vote, to fall in love, to not have to pay into a society that doesn’t benefit a standard cost of living and survival… how far away was 1963 from 1776?  

That word.  Freedom.  Yes, it meant something different in the 18th century, especially to a woman or person of color.  It means something different in the 21st century.  But it is a coveted notion.  An ideal that we all wish to celebrate, to take notice, to honor those who give their lives to preserve it.

I suppose I noticed this as I listened to the news footage of the persons trying to deny that liberty.  How far away from that was a redcoat?  Or some British governor?  And yet, those champions of preserving heritage never hesitated to invoke the Constitution or word freedom over and over and over and over again.

Sound familiar?

I bet you could take any one of those sound bites from the 50’s and 60’s and exchange it with a conversation today.  About gay marriage.  Gun rights.  Immigration.  Our president.  It’s kind of creepy and hugely disheartening to realize the language stays the same.  The stubborn refusal to yield to the notion that another person deserves just as much respect, dignity… and freedom as the rest of us.  

But then I think of those names etched in my memory from so long ago.  That they did stand up for something – even if they owned slaves.  Even if I really wouldn’t mind being British.  But they attempted to resist a great wrong.  Just as the names I am etching into my mind now did 50 years ago.  And better yet, they did it without guns.  Without declaring anyone 3/5 of a person.  Without dumping tar and feathers on a person who didn’t join their fight.  They changed a country founded on freedom, a country that declared independence a virtue.  They made that virtue a reality.

And yet…

Why don’t we know their names?  Why do we let that virtuous freedom slip away without honoring their sacrifice?  Why are we more concerned with Miley Cyrus today than reflecting on the ambitions of a peaceful mob 50 years ago?     Why is this fight for freedom not one we continue to challenge and speak up and defend? 


Comments

Popular Posts