A letter to Gram, my Ma, on the eve of her 92nd birthday
Dear Gram,
It feels like a long time since I wrote you a letter. I remember when I went away to college it was
a weekly ritual for me. I love writing,
as you well know… but I’m afraid the convenience of a laptop and the regularity
of seeing you did diminish my handwritten correspondence to you.
Regardless of that fact, every year on my birthday you sent
me a card. There was usually something
else in it. Something to help me on a
night out to celebrate… or maybe even a clipping of one of my or my friend’s
theater experiences. Usually a note
about something – flowers, my mother’s cooking, a cousin… I kept a lot of those
cards. I don’t know what to do with
them. I don’t think I can actually read
them just yet. Even though I look at your
handwriting pretty regularly now… it just is different if it’s a note to me.
Anyway, it’s your birthday tomorrow. Number 92.
I was thinking today as I cleaned up my cellar for a party this weekend
that I’d like to think you are having a party with all those friends who used
to visit your cellar in Main South. That
Nettie, Junie (or is it Geunie?), John, maybe one of your more favorite of his girlfriends, the
Fitzpatricks, the MacLauglins, the ones who owned the toy factory and never
brought liquor, Joe Bird (your inhouse paparazzi), the attractive woman with
the dog who liked to lie under the clothesline, Rose Alba, Rhea… and Vinny are
all singing you a happy birthday with a toast of Wild Turkey. I like to think that.
I also like to think you know we are all thinking of you,
missing you, catching the sentences in our mouths that we instinctively would
share with you. That I don’t have to
tell you I painted my kitchen window sill today. Ladybug red.
Because every time I cook (especially one of your recipe cards) there
seems to be one or two ladybugs lingering there. I feel these breezes coming through my window
at the end of a hot day, knowing thunder is on its way… and think how I might
talk with you about whether or not our twelve mile distance meant we got the
same weather. Minutiae… but because it
was something we talked about, the importance of it seems all the more obvious.
I hope you see Hannah and Lily. How giddy Lily is when you give her your
hands to stand up and walk across the room.
Or how Hannah likes trying frozen peas on her tongue and then lets them
drop onto her bib. I can see your smile. I can see you with a little chuckle at Ben or
Eileen or Simone or wrapped up in your blanket of Aidan, Brendan, Bella, and
Emma in the room with AC blaring.
I see you in the photographs I started going through again
this weekend. I see the plucky spirit of
my mother and her siblings. I see you
look at all us grandchildren with the joy my parents now see Hannah and
Lily. I see you at my age rolling your
eyes at Vinny, but grinning with the love that must have convinced you to take
that ride some 70 years ago.
I see you.
Sometimes I think I see you better, honestly. Looking through these pictures and the
amusing puzzle pieces left in your cookbooks all make the things you once told
me resonate differently. I do see you as
a young mother in her thirties. I see
you as a dashing young woman whose boyfriend took a picture of you in your
bathing suit. I see you as a child of
the Depression. I see the pictures of
your mother and her spirit. Your father
and his style. Your husband. Your family.
How it all connects to me… and in a totally different way connects to a
cousin or an aunt or an uncle who married into this family.
I think about how every time we got to this time of June in
the last several years, it was a celebration because we knew this first one
without you was going to come.
And I cry.
Because I miss you.
We all do.
But wouldn’t you know, you made me laugh today. And made me happy to think it was your
birthday.

Comments