why I'm glad my iPod is just an iPod
Maybe I just watch too much Dr. Who and my literary brain
likes to take things too literally. I
keep having visions of nano genes creeping up the arm from a y-shaped cut on the
hand and slowly morphing the face into a gas mask, forcing the voice to cry out
‘Are you my Mummy?’ … or a person forced into line to have her body plated with
metal and a chip inserted to buffer emotion.
I keep thinking of those movies where the person fights to stay awake
because sleep will mean turning into an unfeeling, unoriginal, gluttonous for
human flesh zombie. I held my new
technological contraption the other day and felt my blood turn icy as if I was
about to slide the ring of power over my finger.
Okay… that’s theatrical… and definitely indicative of my
imagination running away with me.
Seriously, I was banned from Dr. Who at age 4… and this is probably
why. But… seriously, technology gives me
the willies. Well, not all
technology. Handheld devices that wire
me to the world really freak me out.
Now… before I go on my rant, I will make a few
disclaimers. Much though I love history,
I really have no wistful desire to relive it.
Trust me, I’m glad I live in an age when
a corset is considered sexy and is not an instrument of suffocating my
organs and making me prone to fainting spells.
And while we still live in an age where race is a volatile and
destructive issue, I am glad that lynching and dressing up in bedsheets is not permissible. I’m definitely okay without small pox and
relying on my fireplace for heat on days like this. And I know that technology is what has got us
from those darker ages to now.
I know that the printing press allowed more than the clergy
to read the Bible, empowering the masses to decide for themselves what God said
– or if 'he' even said it. I know steam
engines allowed an increase of the workforce, a rise to the middle class, and a
boom to cities across the world… helping to pull our little lackluster former
colonies into country status. I know
that a pill helped get my sex out of the kitchen and offered up a longer
lifespan without constant pregnancy. I
know that the internet has created communication and information as has never
been seen before. And I know… I know a
cell phone in the car is an awesome thing to have when you get a flat tire.
That said… I still hate the bloody things.
I suppose I’m one of a curmudgeonly few who wrestle so much
about those rectangular objects. And I’m
probably one of a few who feels a black mark on my soul for breaking down last
Friday and making a (online) purchase from… of all places… Apple.
At least I didn’t lose all my integrity. I didn’t get the iPhone. I got the iPod touch.
That’s lame, I can hear every other Apple fan mutter when
(if) they read that sentence. I’m sure
most smart phone people don’t get my sense of crisis. I don’t expect any of you to… because I’m the
only one who has to live with myself.
It came to me on Tuesday, while I was sitting at my
desk. I turned it on and looked at my
first screen with all those little square icons. And I immediately found my way to Facebook,
posted a status, and wanted to throw up.
Seriously, Jessie?
Get over yourself. It’s the way
of the world. It’s the norm… and hell,
it’s fun. Oh – and let’s not forget one
of the major endorsements I received in my conversations about this – it’s a communication
device.
Um. No. There I have to disagree.
Late Thursday afternoon, after the turkey and dinner dishes
cleared from the table, some of my family collected around the table, polishing
off the dredges of wine. I think it was
my favorite part of Thanksgiving when the conversation focused on my
grandmother – grandfather, too – but mostly Gram. There were many thoughts and memories shared…
but one closing thesis was how she was genuinely interested in people. That she LISTENED and wanted to know more
about people with whom she was talking.
I heard a very similar comment repeated about Nissy, the mother of Urban
Improv, when she passed away this summer.
Nissy was just six years younger than Gram. So I don’t know if I credit it to generation
or the other parallels of their lives that formed their very giving, loving
hearts. But… to me, much of that giving,
loving comes from the art of listening.
I’ve come away from both these losses wanting to be more like that… to
be a better listener.
Cell phones, to me, are the biggest impediment to listening
and paying attention to people this society has.
You’re just prejudiced, Jessie. Maybe afflicted with a bit of generation
envy.
Nope.
Have you ever watched people with cell phones? Or… let me clarify… ‘smart’ phones? I challenge you to spend a day just watching
how impersonal people become when that contraption comes out from a
pocket. How unabashedly they appear in
the MIDDLE of conversations, on the street, in the car, at a performance, in
the store, THEY ARE FUCKING EVERYWHERE!!!
And whatever is on that little blue screen is somehow more important
than the person, the HUMAN BEING living, breathing, emitting organic heat within
two feet. It happens all the time… and
it makes me very sad.
And you know what? A
lot of what makes me sad is that I know I am just as capable of tuning out the
world in favor of a blue screen. I did
it last night… and I don’t know why.
Facebook is NOT really that interesting.
Especially on a small screen. I
mean, talk about losing the big picture.
I know that I can in fact join with the masses who find the phone so
important it is worth $50 a month - $600 a year. How many minutes of live conversation lost? Can you put a dollar amount on that? Can you imagine the lost opportunity when
that person you ignored in favor of pixels is gone forever?
I know there are good things to these devices. I actually thought about that before I
started writing this diatribe. About the
Arab spring and the use of Twitter. Of
baby photos and being able to get directions or movie times. But… I’m not a fan of things like GPS. Not really.
I mean… I get that now people are much much less likely to get
lost. But, with the technology, we’ve
lost the ability to find our way.
Well… if you hate it so much to write all these words, why
on earth did you buy the thing? I wanted
the camera… and well… I wanted an iPod.
Seriously, I spend up to three hours in my car each day. It’s a nice thing to have my music library on
hand. And… well… that’s been the
principle use of the thing since Tuesday.
And I’m more than okay with that.
I'm not entirely unaware of the irony that this post could be read on one of those things. It doesn't make me like them more. It doesn't make me like my friends any less. It just makes me sad that people are more apt to hear me (and that is different than listen) on a device than in person.

Comments