all the world's a stage and the men and women are fighting for who gets the spotlight
Since I had any notion of space, I have looked for a stage
on which to perform and attract the spotlight of attention. The house in which I spent my childhood had
several stages. The front porch, the archway
between the dining and living room, and even the strip of asphalt at the back
of the house where my mother’s clothesline hung sheets to make a curtain all
became the proscenium framework of my productions. Sometimes there was an audience – the traffic
passing down Shrewsbury Street, my babysitters, or whoever was assembled in the
backyard for a cookout. Better yet, we
lived next door to a defunct radio station with giant art deco stone steps,
perfect for playing out the stories and dances my mind created.
Life dealt me some lessons of humility throughout my
youth. Even though I always thought of
myself as the star of my life production, I wasn’t often considered lead
material. But even before I attained
official adulthood, I was granted an opportunity to be the real star of plays…
the director who is (or whom I believed at the time) the god of
production.
I have written about the lessons of humility and ego
bruising theater has dealt me. Sometimes
I think I’m the better for it. Sometimes
I think I am still the imp who seeks the limelight. But there was a realization as I ended my
twenties that there are other stars in the world of theater. Sometimes they get the credit. Sometimes they don’t want the credit. They have their own world, their own sense of
fun, their own way of being gods.
Techies are as much the reason a play goes on – or maybe THE reason that
magic happens between the disaster of dress rehearsal and the miracle of
opening night.
I no longer go to a show and just see the actor or the
director sitting in smug critique of the night at the back of the
auditorium. I see the black clothed
people moving around in the dark, re-setting the stage in a deft matter of
minutes. I see the lights transition and
create beauty, time, and space. I see
the people sweeping and washing up as the actors stand in the corridor after the
bows, accepting the credit.
I am generalizing here.
I know a lot of theaters where actors, directors, and techies are one
and the same. But I was reminded of this
culture this week as I saw an absurd debate of a sentence taken out of context
from our president.
I’m going to be honest.
I didn’t watch the speech. Most
of what I gleaned is from text liberal and conservative interpreting what he
said… and how offensive or how true it was.
It reminded me of something Elizabeth Warren said a few months back.
The political ‘right’ has decided both Obama and Warren are
mean and offensive, denying credit to those who accomplished great things. That it is insensitive to suggest that the
successful are not successful because they should have to acknowledge they are
part of a larger machine of effort.
I hear that whining and think of the diva who yells at the
costumer for stitching a dress in a way that makes her look frumpy or snaps at
a stage hand to get out of the way while moving the furniture. The one who takes the bow, gets mention in
the review, and leaves the theater with all her adoring fans while those
techies wash up the dishes and set the stage for the next night.
Yes, that actress works hard. I’ve been her… and I know I’ve had those
obnoxious moments. I cringe that I’ve
done it… but that’s part of the reason I became a techie. To get the perspective… to make myself a
better director. You could argue there
wouldn’t be a show without that actress.
Maybe no one would come see it and pay for tickets if it wasn’t for
her. But… how would anyone see her if
someone didn’t turn on the lights?
Look, Republicans, you have every right to criticize our
President and the future Senator Warren.
But, can’t you pick something better to whine about than who gets the
credit for the show? Everyone should get a bow. Even if it is a generalized hand gesture
before the lights go down. It doesn’t
diminish the spotlight focused on the star.
It just shows the star understands the spotlight doesn’t turn on by
itself.


Comments