Greed is Good - unless, of course, you are poor
I am at the end of my two year contract for my cell phone, which
means I can get a new phone. In spite of
my very vocal dislike of the things, I have to admit I thought about upgrading
to something with a camera (I anticipate the arrival of two tiny beings that
will require photographing)… and maybe eventual possibility of getting email on
a limited basis. There are times when I
think that would have been useful in the last year… and can see some scenarios in
the coming year where such a device could be a savvy move. Then I realize how much the device costs –
even with my ‘discount.’ And just to
have the phone, whether I go online or not, requires paying for data… which is
the cost of a tank of gas. I need that
tank of gas much more than I need to pay for an accessory of rude behavior.
I could probably afford both the tank of gas and data
package. I just don’t value the latter
enough to take that money away from my morning coffee… or an impulsive shopping
trip at Wegman’s. Those are still pretty
frivolous expenses in the big picture… but their purchase makes me feel a
little better about my sometimes stressful but not really that bad in the grand
scheme of things middle class life.
Maybe we can call it my retail therapy.
Or maybe we can call it irresponsible, which is what it is. I just am supposedly responsible because I
have the funds to pay the bills at the end of the month.
But there was a time in my life when I didn’t. There could be again. Who knows?
Life has the tendency to pull the rug out from beneath us. I’m in a good place now… but I know a lot of
people who are still lying on the floor, trying to get a grasp of something to
pull themselves up. I feel their pain,
having been a similar style shoe… and because… it’s only human to feel empathy
for someone struggling to make sense of their life’s fiscal value.
It’s actually pretty damn depressing. We live in a universe full of options for
distraction from depression.
Alcohol. Drugs. Food.
And… that thing I mentioned before… retail therapy. None of those things are responsible. But for that intoxicating moment of who the
fuck cares when one can pretend she doesn’t care and not be depressed about the
limitations of a bank account. I have a
lot of presently useless VHS tapes that served that purpose fifteen years
ago. It was foolish, indulgent… and a
perfect waste of money.
But it was my money, right?
So… the only harm done was to myself.
I wasn’t taking money from anyone and abusing their trust by spending it
on a chick flick at Walmart. Besides,
spending money is the American thing to do.
That’s what Bush told us when the nation mourned a great tragedy. Go out and buy stuff. It will make you feel better.
Unless you get aid from the government. Then retail therapy is not a socially
acceptable option. Nor is alcohol. Or drugs.
And the food you buy better be on the same plane as Ramen noodles. Of course, if you are on government aid, you
are probably breaking all those rules.
Because why else would anyone go on food stamps other than to extort the
system and screw the rest of us who avoid looking at one another when sitting
at a local foodie restaurant, wearing our $400 pair of jeans whilst texting on our
iPhone? Obviously, these people need a
better sense of priority when it comes to money.
Especially because the money they use to buy milk, eggs, and
maybe even a real vegetable so their children have enough food in a stomach to
conjure limited focus through the school day comes out of tax money. Tax money that could have been used to
upgrade to another iPhone or buy another purse if it didn’t come out of a
paycheck and go arbitrarily to some single mother trying to juggle work and
school and children. Where are our
priorities? Honestly.
I know a lot of people who have strong opinions about
entitlements and the abuses I just mocked in the previous paragraphs. I know their complaints are legitimate… but
not any more legitimate than the users of the system for whom I argue. People who need their government aid, to get
through a difficult situation. A
situation that humiliates and degrades… and leads to that depression with which
we all lull ourselves with insignificant crap.
Is it right? Um. No. I
learned that. I like to think that other
people learn, too. Some don’t have
to. Because they are still standing on
the rug, without any humiliation of gravity.
Some tax me and my income through something I can’t escape buying...
creating enough profits to indulge retail therapy on a large scale 24/7.
Maybe it isn’t right for the poor who are scraping by to
avoid reality by buying what they can’t afford.
It isn’t right they have such a degrading reality they need to escape. But maybe it’s all relative… because the more
money one has, well apparently, the more retail therapy one requires. Which leads me to wonder… who is actually
happy?
Comments