But I am going to be petty about this

So I ended up indulging a Facebook post about the glory of veterans history. Of course, I selected something that my elitist intellectualism would appreciate. A clip of Branagh reciting the St. Crispin speech.


I think it’s apropos. That speech is the band of brothers tagline attached to so many war stories… and yet as I’ve listened to it over a couple times today, I started thinking about veterans long gone. Buried with the forgotten histories of time. And how… yeah, even if I am being esoteric in my posting, this day belongs to them, too.

Even though St. Crispin day was in October. Whatever. There are lots of days for different wars and different soldiers. And there are soldiers who fight in ways that aren’t on the frontlines of battle… but that is a discussion for a later time. Maybe.

This little fragment of thought resonated in my brain because I see a lot of people saying, if you love your freedom, thank a veteran. Okay. Fine. But, um, aren’t there veterans of the losing sides, too? Not that I’m suggesting we imitate the Ohio tea party candidate and pay homage to the SS. But… there were a lot of Germans who weren’t Nazis who still fought in World War II against us. Aren’t they veterans, too? And is their sacrifice any less because they stood for something different?

I mean… I’m not even sure the British were exactly right following Henry V into Agincourt. Did he really need to annex France into England? No. Did he want to? Yes. Did he stand for freedom? I don’t know. Let’s ask Bardolph. But do I admire his rally cry any the less because of it? Nope.

Maybe this is too much thought on today. Maybe I am irritating because I won’t just accept the graciousness of gratitude so… easily. And it isn’t really for me to accept or reject the gratitude.

But is it gratitude to merely remember for five seconds? Is it gratitude when we allow these noble men and women to live homeless, begging on the streets, and then decide government spending is too much to treat their PTSD? If we love our freedom and we love the men and women who gave so much to give it to us, are we really grateful if we just say it?

Comments

imp said…
i am not sure a thank you on rememberance day really sums up how people feel. and does it seem a bit trite to the people on the receiving end? i don't know.

but i do feel good wearing my poppy every year, the one my mom bought from the veterans collecting donations. i used to see them in front of the banks and grocery stores, but not now. why is that?
The Witty Fool said…
I think that is my irritation, frankly. That it is more about how we feel good about ourselves for being grateful than it is about really... being grateful.

ESPECIALLY when I see the very people who complain and bemoan how much money our government is spending on 'entitlement' programs and the poor, then pat themselves on the back for saying how much they appreciate veterans. But if they have to spend their tax dollars giving them healthcare or a place to sleep... well, a flower or a ribbon is good enough, isn't it?

I like the poppy, too. And I think for some people it is a legitimate indication of thinking about that sadness... but... ugh... one day of thanks and 364 days of neglect is not appreciation.

Popular Posts